Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 385052 times)

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #2265 on: May 21, 2018, 01:37:42 am »
Scientists study Trump Voters have confirmed that they are not motivated by economic issues but because they are afraid of white men losing their power in society.

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2018/04/heres-actually-drives-trump-supporters-may-shock/

Also scientific studies find that water is wet and fire is hot.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #2266 on: May 21, 2018, 10:43:01 am »
Scientists study Trump Voters have confirmed that they are not motivated by economic issues but because they are afraid of white men losing their power in society.

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2018/04/heres-actually-drives-trump-supporters-may-shock/

Also scientific studies find that water is wet and fire is hot.

I'd like to take a look at this study.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 10:47:21 am by Lana Reverse »
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #2268 on: May 21, 2018, 02:48:45 pm »
Lana: Let me see this study, so I can whitewash some racists!
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #2269 on: May 21, 2018, 06:46:57 pm »
I linked The Dynamic Paragon of Reverse Anal to a fivethirtyeight article, citing a Harvard study I believe, that said the exact same thing. Lana ignored it for a month before saying "you will just alienate republican moderates by saying racism was a strong factor among people voting for Trump."

Reagan took that exact position toward South African apartheid. Reagan's policy only served to prolong apartheid, normalize it among the white moderates, and send a message to the world that America tacitly condoned such racism. Fuck your "what about the mawdawitts" argument.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #2270 on: May 21, 2018, 07:16:26 pm »
Lana: Let me see this study, so I can whitewash some racists!

I linked The Dynamic Paragon of Reverse Anal to a fivethirtyeight article, citing a Harvard study I believe, that said the exact same thing. Lana ignored it for a month before saying "you will just alienate republican moderates by saying racism was a strong factor among people voting for Trump."

Reagan took that exact position toward South African apartheid. Reagan's policy only served to prolong apartheid, normalize it among the white moderates, and send a message to the world that America tacitly condoned such racism. Fuck your "what about the mawdawitts" argument.

Quote from the study:

It is notable that many attitudes and attributes identified as possible explanations for Trump’s support among white working-class voters were not significant independent predictors. Gender, age, region, and religious affiliation were not significant demographic factors in the model. Views about gender roles and attitudes about race were also not significant.

(emphasis mine)

If you trust this study, which of course you shouldn't necessarily, being a racist has not been found to correlate with voting for Trump (among white working class voters).

(insert all necessary disclaimers that hasn't been found significant doesn't mean the effect doesn't exist only that the study couldn't find it, selecting for specifically white working class voters who might already be racist and disproportionately trump voters might swamp the effect, etc.)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 07:18:49 pm by Sigmaleph »
Σא

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #2271 on: May 21, 2018, 07:20:49 pm »
How does that sit with this:

Fears about cultural displacement. White working-class voters who say they often feel like a stranger in their own land and who believe the U.S. needs protecting against foreign influence were 3.5 times more likely to favor Trump than those who did not share these concerns.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #2272 on: May 21, 2018, 07:30:15 pm »
How does that sit with this:

Fears about cultural displacement. White working-class voters who say they often feel like a stranger in their own land and who believe the U.S. needs protecting against foreign influence were 3.5 times more likely to favor Trump than those who did not share these concerns.

*shrug* Xenophobia and racism are connected but not identical.

Or racist xenophobes are more likely to admit to one than the other, who knows.

Or maybe the worry about "cultural displacement" is also capturing people who resent progressive culture more generally and miss the days when it was acceptable to be a homophobe in public?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 07:32:11 pm by Sigmaleph »
Σא

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #2273 on: May 21, 2018, 09:06:33 pm »
No one's worried about Trump directing the commerce department to fix the jobs situation for ZTE?

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #2274 on: May 21, 2018, 09:48:33 pm »
No one's worried about Trump directing the commerce department to fix the jobs situation for ZTE?

I mean, yeah. ZTE is likely spying on Americans, and certainly is in violations of U.S. sanctions. However, Trump is gonna give into Chinese demands regarding ZTE because he's an idiot and doesn't realize that blows in a trade war can come from a great many places. He's scared that China will tariff the shit out American wheat, corn, soy, pork, and beef.* These products are grown in red states and Trump wants to protect "his people." The problem is that the man is short-sighted and impulsive; he will happily sabotage our national security because security threats are more attenuated than the immediate imposition of tariffs to American products. Hard to believe that this could likely have been avoided by simply not starting a trade war.

*American Agri-business is, quite frankly, amazing. I believe that we are top five in all of them, and top in Corn, Wheat, and Pork. When people say "America doesn't 'make' anything" tell them to frig off. And, of course, free trade is amazing for these products, which I must bring up vis-a-vis the pending Chino-American trade war.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #2275 on: May 21, 2018, 10:14:17 pm »
Do you think it related to trying to stop the Trade war or his own personal venality?

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #2276 on: May 21, 2018, 10:24:59 pm »
Do you think it related to trying to stop the Trade war or his own personal venality?

I think he's so set on "winning" this trade war that he doesn't realize, or he's undervaluing, the attendant security risks.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #2277 on: May 21, 2018, 10:31:29 pm »

I think he's so set on "winning" this trade war that he doesn't realize, or he's undervaluing, the attendant security risks.

So unrelated to the $500 million loan to his property in Jakarta?

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #2278 on: May 21, 2018, 10:39:00 pm »

So unrelated to the $500 million loan to his property in Jakarta?

Well, I wasn't even aware of that. Seems par for course with this president.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast