Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 385036 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #2280 on: May 22, 2018, 06:43:41 pm »
He actually can't give ZTE a break at all.  That's in the hands of the House.

And they kinda gave the Orange Piss Pot the finger on that.

Ironbite-but this is quid pro quo and I don't think Trump knows how badly he fucked up.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2281 on: May 22, 2018, 06:44:54 pm »
Does he ever?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2282 on: May 22, 2018, 07:09:03 pm »
Seen on why Republicans blocked Garland:

The Constitution says that the President may nominate anyone to the bench, but the nominee receives the appointment only with the "Advice and Consent of the Senate". The Senate advised the President to either nominate someone who shared Justice Scalia's political philosophy or wait until after the coming election. The President declined the advice, and so the Senate declined consent.

President Obama did nominate somebody to fill the seat. Republicans rejected the nominee by declining to take action on the nomination. The Senate has rejected nominees through inaction for two hundred years.

The idea that the rule of law was "perverted" here is -- to put it in the most charitable possible terms -- legally absurd. The progressive reading of the Garland/Gorsuch saga completely erases the "advice and consent" clause from the Constitution. The Senate did its constitutional duty in refusing to approve the imprudent Garland nomination.

What really happened here is that the Republicans violated a perceived behavioral norm that judicial nominees with good credentials ought to be approved by the Senate regardless of ideology. These norms are not legally binding, but it may be prudent to follow them. However, Republicans (correctly) believe that the Democrats violated that norm in 1988, trampled it half to death from 2002-2005, and finally threw it in the garbage in 2014. They retaliated in kind. The Gorsuch appointment settles a debt that was created by Teddy Kennedy when he walked out on the Senate floor to give his "Robert Bork's America" speech.  It wasn't pretty, but I don't see that Republicans had any viable choice -- a political party can't unilaterally norms the opposite party has discarded. 

Nor, for that matter, do I think it was particularly prudent to follow that particular norm in the first place. Mere politesse should give way when the fate of the country is at stake, and the Democrats figured that out 28 years before the Republicans. The rule of law must be upheld; the rule of unwritten 1960s-era senatorial etiquette may be discarded.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2283 on: May 22, 2018, 07:33:45 pm »
So they stole a seat and it lead to stripping away of employee's rights.

Ironbite-that make that right?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2284 on: May 22, 2018, 07:38:02 pm »
So they stole a seat and it lead to stripping away of employee's rights.

Ironbite-that make that right?

Oh, the poster in question thinks the law at issue in the recent case should be changed, but he also thinks that because there was no conflict with the Constitution the Court had no grounds to overturn the law.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #2285 on: May 22, 2018, 09:05:24 pm »
Alright if that's how it is, I don't want to fucking hear them bitching when the Dems do it to them as well.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2286 on: May 22, 2018, 09:21:38 pm »
Alright if that's how it is, I don't want to fucking hear them bitching when the Dems do it to them as well.

Don't worry, they will. After all, the Democrats bitched over Garland.

Where I really don't want to hear them bitching is if the Democrats push through health insurance reform with even less process than the Republicans used to try to repeal the ACA (until they actually did eviscerate it in their tax-increase/reparations/fuck-blue-states bill). Someone remind me: how many hearings were held on the ACA?

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #2287 on: May 23, 2018, 12:30:04 am »

Don't worry, they will. After all, the Democrats bitched over Garland.

Where I really don't want to hear them bitching is if the Democrats push through health insurance reform with even less process than the Republicans used to try to repeal the ACA (until they actually did eviscerate it in their tax-increase/reparations/fuck-blue-states bill). Someone remind me: how many hearings were held on the ACA?

Democrats won't touch healthcare for 50 years following the results of this past decade. Republicans were whipped into a frenzy because Obama was gonna kill grandma via death panels. Meanwhile, democrats bitched and didn't vote because "it wasn't good enough." Republicans won the House, Senate, state governorships, state legislatures, and put that backfired wish that Rush Limbaugh made on a cursed monkey's paw in the White House.

Democrats best bet is tax reform, giving actual breaks to the middle class and working class, while closing loopholes on the wealthy, and undoing the damage from Trump's tax bill. Of course, I fully anticipate the same result from tax reform that we got from the ACA: Democrats lose because they demand perfection, republicans win because their voters vote republican no matter what.

The pendulum will of course swing left in the next few years, but the Overton Window has only moved to the right under President Trump.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #2288 on: May 23, 2018, 11:06:42 pm »
In other news, a judge ruled that Trump can't block people on Twitter:

http://thehill.com/regulation/389021-judge-rules-trump-cant-block-users-on-twitter
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #2289 on: May 24, 2018, 10:13:52 am »
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/24/politics/trump-north-korea/index.html Also in other news it seems that Trump has cancelled his meeting with Kim Jun Un. While I wish there was a way to bring peace to the Korean peninsula. It brings a smile to my face knowing all of those right wing idiots that jumped at the gun and said Trump should get the noble peace prize for unifying Korea and denuclearizing them are probably standing around scratching their heads.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2290 on: May 24, 2018, 11:40:22 am »
Hey I know this brings a smile back to your face but here's the rub.  It means we could go back to war with North Korea, nuke the planet, and end all life as we know it.  Also there's a bunch of western journalists who are in North Korea to cover them dismantling the mountain they were using for nuke tests that Trump may have just left in a lurch.

Ironbite-so yeah.....he just made a huge stupid.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #2291 on: May 24, 2018, 12:25:02 pm »
I wasn't aware of the reporters in the country at the moment. Yeah that is really really stupid. I hope they can leave the country with no problem.
I don't trust North Korea. I don't think they are dismantling their nuclear program. They're probably just going to move their test site to somewhere else.
As for going back to war with North Korea, I never thought we were never out of war with North Korea so I'm assuming things are just going to go on as they were.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #2293 on: May 27, 2018, 07:31:06 pm »
Am I missing something, or is he saying it's okay to generalize 60 million people based on a relative handful of emails to one columnist?
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2294 on: May 28, 2018, 01:19:49 am »
No, you are not getting the point. That is not a handful of emails, it's thousands of emails to one columnist and we have already seen that there are millions of messages like that going to people who the Trump-fans see as enemies.

These people are the loudest Trump supporters and more than a tiny minority. The others either have their heads stuck up their assess or fully accept them as the representatives of their cause because there's no way otherwise to miss all this hate they spew.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!