Author Topic: Seven Earth-Sized Planets Found  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
Seven Earth-Sized Planets Found
« on: February 24, 2017, 05:46:14 pm »
https://www.researchgate.net/blog/post/system-of-seven-earth-like-planets-could-support-life

What's really amazing to me is that these Earth-sized worlds are so close to each other, and three of them are in the habitable zone. If life exists on even one of those planets, their sky must have one hell of an amazing view.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!

Offline fancy_kitten

• Bishop
  • The fanciest little kitten
Re: Seven Earth-Sized Planets Found
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 11:33:34 pm »
So what do you think guys?  Is there a chance one of them has life?  I learned about the Miller-Urey experiments recently and the impression that I got was that early-Earth conditions could have produced basic amino acids, which given enough time could have formed early DNA.  If any of these planets existed in the habitable zone and with water for long enough, who knows what they could hold?
It's me, the little fancy kitten

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 11:57:41 pm »
If they have life, we as humans know what we must do.

Take adolescents, turn them into towering supersoldiers, put them in various colors of armor (the boring, by the books ones get blue, the psychotically secretive ones get green), and then send them to war to conquer these new planets.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 12:17:45 am »
When NASA announced that they had major discovery that they are going to announce the UFO circles were excited as they hoped NASA would finally reveal that aliens are real. They were a bit disappointed when NASA said "it's not aliens" on their Twitter after they noticed the rumours.

Still extremely exiting discovery.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 09:14:01 am »
Its not aliens, just planets that could host alien life.  Probably xenomorphs.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 06:21:18 am »
I'd caution that things had to be pretty well perfect for Earth to be hospitable. There are two other "terrestrial planets" in our system, Mars and Venus are both inhospitable not least because they don't have magnetic fields strong enough to keep most of the deadly solar and cosmic radiation out.

You might still be more likely to find life in a subsurface ocean of one of the outer gas giant moons, it's entirely possible that life on terrestrial planets, like ours is rare cosmically speaking.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 02:26:59 pm »
I'd caution that things had to be pretty well perfect for Earth to be hospitable. There are two other "terrestrial planets" in our system, Mars and Venus are both inhospitable not least because they don't have magnetic fields strong enough to keep most of the deadly solar and cosmic radiation out.

There's also the fact that Venus is actually outside of the "Goldilocks Zone" for our sun, and has clouds made of sulfuric fucking acid.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!