Community > Science and Technology

I think my laptop is fucked.

(1/3) > >>

Svata:
A week ago I started running into a bunch of BSODs. Like, 4. In a single night. I fiddled around, found some of my drivers were hopelessly outdated. Got them updated. Problem seemed to be fixed until yesterday. I literally lost count of the BSODs I ran into. Many were unexpected_store_exception errors, three or four were kernel_security_check_failure. There were some others I ran into as one-offs, but I can't remember them. Eventually I got to the point where I just said "fuck it" and did the factory reset. well... it got to the login screen, and froze. Mouse cursor moved, but nothing else happened (even to the point that unplugging it didn't make the charging/plugged in icon on the battery in the lower right corner go away). I let it run for about half an hour on this screen, just to let it think. Nothing. So I cut it off, hoping for better luck on the second try. Now I'm stuck in the ol' infinite reboot loop. I can get to a troubleshooting screen by holding F9 as the computer boots. But I can't system restore, or use a recovery point (which I HAD set up), or even launch the command prompt, because in resetting the system, it deleted my admin account (obviously) and now it doesn't detect any admin accounts, and you need to log into one to use any of those features. So, I ask you this simple question. What do? [/size](Laptop is an ASUS X550Z. Default everything.)[/color]

Cloud3514:
Probably a bad hard drive. Would be a good excuse to upgrade to an SSD.

Svata:
Its only 2 years old, though. how is the HDD already going bad? Also, any SSD's you'd recommend? The current HDD has a 2.5" form factor.

dpareja:
I once had a power supply start going bad after about eight months. Electronic equipment can start going bad at any time.

Svata:
Once I get a new HDD/SSD, how the heck am I gonna fix this? I don't have a disc, cause the laptop came with it preinstalled. Also, a friend elsewhere says it may be the RAM, because they don't think HDD cause boot loops. Also, I managed to trick it into doing a chkdsk on boot somehow, and it came out fine, but I'm back in the loop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version