Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1599246 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #510 on: March 20, 2012, 03:38:45 pm »
I dont think the Jim Crow label was necessary the Klan hood is universal

I have trouble phrasing this the right way, but I on think that the KKK guy should have been left out and some other way of referring to Jim Crow laws should be kept. Because KKK brings to my mind lynchings, actually killing the minorities -I'm sure we can agree that the voter ID law is not the same as going around killing people- but since poor minorities seem to be the ones who suffer most from requiring voter ID comparing it to laws that took rights from minorities is a better comparison.

(Although I still don't understand how getting an ID could be so difficult in USA.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
« Reply #511 on: March 20, 2012, 03:58:06 pm »
(Although I still don't understand how getting an ID could be so difficult in USA.)

To get a picture ID (Driver's License or State ID card, most businesses don't accept passports even though they're tougher to get - meaning there's no point in having it unless you actually plan to travel), you need to go to the nearest Secretary of State Office or Department of Motor Vehicles. If you live in a major metropolitan area, there are usually a few different locations but no matter where you are convenience of location involves some luck. Even in big cities, getting to one without a driver's license can be a bitch and half - in rural areas, even more so. So you need either public transit or a ride. Next, you have to go when they're open. The Michigan (where I live) Secretary of State office is open from 9AM to 5 PM (7PM on Wednesdays where available) Monday through Friday, though some Super! Centers are open Saturday 9AM-Noon. Once your there, you have to wait your turn. I waited 2 hours to be seen (for the 10 minutes needed to renew my Driver's License) at on a fairly average Thursday. You pretty much have to have at least half a day off of work to make going worth anything. This doesn't even get into the items required to prove your ID to get a picture ID (including a particular type of Birth Certificate copy, your social security card -which much be obtained from a different government office, some bills in your name at your address, et al). Plus the ID itself costs money, though renewing my DL late only cost about $25...though that can be a lot of money to some people.

For the working poor who don't have a driver's license (because if they had one, there wouldn't be an issue), the whole process (Taking a day off of work, finding transportation, making sure you have all the exact right documents, etc) can be a nigh-insurmountable hassle. Especially when the alternative is to simply not vote.
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #512 on: March 20, 2012, 04:19:14 pm »
if they are so worried about voter ID just mail cards out when citizen turns 18

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #513 on: March 20, 2012, 04:39:34 pm »
That wouldn't achieve the goal of disenfranchising traditionally liberal voters.

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #514 on: March 20, 2012, 04:53:25 pm »
That wouldn't achieve the goal of disenfranchising traditionally liberal voters.
I know I'm just trying to poke holes.  Seriously you;re automatically registered and at the polling place you are given the option to register as a party member
Also internet acess helps if you need to register

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #515 on: March 20, 2012, 06:48:15 pm »
I know I'm just trying to poke holes.  Seriously you;re automatically registered and at the polling place you are given the option to register as a party member
Also internet acess helps if you need to register
Sshhhhh. Don't tell them that, or they might try to take the internet away from us.

More so than they already are, that is.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #516 on: March 20, 2012, 06:48:47 pm »

"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #517 on: March 20, 2012, 07:22:51 pm »
I find Ethanol completely useless for one thing you need petrol to make fertilizer

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #518 on: March 20, 2012, 07:25:19 pm »
I find Ethanol completely useless for one thing you need petrol to make fertilizer

‘Round here, we just use cow shit.
-A Pen Name

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #519 on: March 20, 2012, 07:34:01 pm »

All I'm saying is for that reason among others ethanol is not the answer at least corn based

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #520 on: March 20, 2012, 07:42:28 pm »

All I'm saying is for that reason among others ethanol is not the answer at least corn based
It's also not the best solution for gas prices. Corn pricing is about stable and cheap as investing in Greece.

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline Podkayne

• Pope
« Reply #521 on: March 20, 2012, 10:18:40 pm »

Re; fuel prices, biodiesel is a good stop gap, until electric cars become mainstream.
Don't make vague, generic threats, or else!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #522 on: March 20, 2012, 10:52:24 pm »

Re; fuel prices, biodiesel is a good stop gap, until electric cars become mainstream.
Could be but I still say hybrid cars as Diesel engines are expensive in america

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #523 on: March 21, 2012, 05:29:25 pm »

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #524 on: March 21, 2012, 07:27:11 pm »
Some Rocky propaganda, but it's my propaganda.

I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.