Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1630175 times)

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #6435 on: February 15, 2017, 04:57:24 pm »
You are seriously equating opposing the appointed of an unqualified official to segregation.  Seriously.

Go Fuck Yourself.

edit

Yes, this idiot is claiming that everyone getting due process is a bad thing.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 05:50:11 pm by Skybison »

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #6436 on: March 06, 2017, 01:18:04 am »

I have honestly no clue what this guy is trying to say.  Aside from the fact that yes consumers are against telemarketing spam and annoying ads, what does that have to do with the last panel?

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #6437 on: March 06, 2017, 04:54:56 am »

I have honestly no clue what this guy is trying to say.  Aside from the fact that yes consumers are against telemarketing spam and annoying ads, what does that have to do with the last panel?
That if there's no spam the only spam will be government spam all there is will be government spam therefore we must welcome and embrace every flashing ad for Russian "dating" services, "photos with boobs from history you wouldn't believe" and "drinking goat urine made me lose 80 pounds" or our glorious spam will not preserve and defend our freedom from their evil freedom hating spam.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #6438 on: March 06, 2017, 05:09:26 am »
Or, to be more precise, fighting spam will lead to banning advertising which will result in the death of commercial TV stations and the only news will be government propaganda.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #6439 on: March 06, 2017, 05:10:36 am »
Or, to be more precise, fighting spam will lead to banning advertising which will result in the death of commercial TV stations and the only news will be government propaganda.

Ignoring that state-funded media can be done right; look at the BBC.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #6440 on: March 06, 2017, 05:21:35 am »
And YLE in Finland, among others.

(At least until recently; YLE is the one thing the current government is working to get under tighter political control in the middle of their privatization spree.)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6441 on: April 11, 2017, 04:36:58 am »

Funnily enough, this is supposed to show that minimum wage is EVIL and that the poor should be left to die. But it is much easier to see this as an example of why minimum wage (and living wage) is necessary.

Actually, if we keep in the "hole in the boat" as a reference to how government giving aid to those who won't survive with just their wages is not a proper fix (and really, it does require using tax payer money to help people so that their employers wouldn't have to pay them a living wage) and instead you could make a law requiring everyone to get a living wage and thus avoid all of these problems.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

pyro

« Reply #6442 on: April 11, 2017, 12:19:43 pm »
Funnily enough, this is supposed to show that minimum wage is EVIL and that the poor should be left to die. But it is much easier to see this as an example of why minimum wage (and living wage) is necessary.

Where does it imply that the poor should be left to die? It seems to be saying that the minimum wage is killing them.

Of course, the obvious problem is that it takes inequality as a given. If you really want to judge by contribution to society, or skillset for that matter, a landscaper probably deserves the same or higher than a business manager or a computer programmer.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #6443 on: April 11, 2017, 12:56:36 pm »
If you really want to judge by contribution to society, or skillset for that matter, a landscaper probably deserves the same or higher than a business manager or a computer programmer.

Just for the sake of accuracy the effort, sacrifices and natural talent required to learn the skills needed in a profession also matter to the pay level.

That said, the way capitalism values different skillsets is far from just.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6444 on: April 11, 2017, 03:44:49 pm »

Where does it imply that the poor should be left to die? It seems to be saying that the minimum wage is killing them.

Of course, the obvious problem is that it takes inequality as a given. If you really want to judge by contribution to society, or skillset for that matter, a landscaper probably deserves the same or higher than a business manager or a computer programmer.

Minimum wage is set to the limit where people can survive, those who are drowning aren't earning enough money to survive but the EEEVIL government is saving them with welfare (and the welfare boat is sinking because governments are obviously incompetent and destroy themselves, or so Libertarians seem to believe.)

The implication is that welfare and government jobs should be removed completely and those who can't do jobs that pay enough to survive shouldn't.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

pyro

« Reply #6445 on: April 11, 2017, 05:58:00 pm »
Minimum wage is the water. The water is what is killing people. Ergo, the comic's implication is that minimum wage is destructive, and that welfare is a (broken) attempt to save people from the minimum wage. The artist does not want to leave them to drown; they want to get rid of the water.

Unfortunately, because this artist is just pandering to the base instead of trying to get any ideas across, this cartoon makes no attempt to explain why the minimum wage would be harmful to low-income workers.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #6446 on: April 11, 2017, 05:59:31 pm »
Minimum wage is the water. The water is what is killing people. Ergo, the comic's implication is that minimum wage is destructive, and that welfare is a (broken) attempt to save people from the minimum wage. The artist does not want to leave them to drown; they want to get rid of the water.

Unfortunately, because this artist is just pandering to the base instead of trying to get any ideas across, this cartoon makes no attempt to explain why the minimum wage would be harmful to low-income workers.

I know we have some Aussies here; I wonder how their economy's doing with its $17+/hr minimum wage.

Must be horrible.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #6447 on: April 11, 2017, 07:20:46 pm »
(click to show/hide)

According to Randroid logic giving aid is an insufferable evil.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #6448 on: April 12, 2017, 12:50:31 am »

At which point I'll take their metaphor too literally and ask how the hell they plan to do that.  The water is fucking there, what method of removing it could possibly exist that isn't way more expensive then just getting another boat?

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6449 on: April 12, 2017, 10:55:55 pm »

At which point I'll take their metaphor too literally and ask how the hell they plan to do that.  The water is fucking there, what method of removing it could possibly exist that isn't way more expensive then just getting another boat?

The water is the minimum wage. The libertarian argument is that the minimum wage makes it illegal for you to hire people for less than a certain amount, and so it kills every job which provides less value than that amount (since nobody is going to hire you for more money than they make from your labour).

In this metaphor, removing the water means repealing minimum wage laws.

The cartoon does not bother to explain this because, like ~every political cartoon, it's aimed at people who already agree with it
Σא