Author Topic: Looking for Ideas! (2D RPG)  (Read 14159 times)

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
Re: Looking for Ideas! (2D RPG)
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2012, 08:39:47 pm »
While they're by no means weak, horses aren't exactly known for their combat prowess...

A bit of background about daemons and vampires...

What about the Humans, Orcs, Elves, and The Gnome?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 08:53:43 pm by Lexikon »
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2012, 10:05:25 pm »
Aah, thank you, Lexi, for giving me yet another irritating GIF to blacklist.  As for the background of humans, orcs, elves, and gnomes...  I've got some notes, there, but I'll need to compile em and make sure its all kosher, first.  That, and my brain's kinda half-way functional right now, from exhaustion.  A 24-hour bus ride will do that.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2012, 11:03:15 pm »
[Double post, I know.]

I've got a little program I've made that covers several topics regarding my game.  Its mostly technical stuff and rule info, but there's a fair bit there, for those who are interested.

[ETA]

Oh, and its not even close to finished...sooo, yeah.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 12:12:55 am by RavynousHunter »

Distind

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2012, 01:36:42 pm »
Actually, I dislike the idea of a "karma meter" in the traditional sense, re Fable.  Its just...too simple.  A person's good or evil should be more than just a simple, sliding scale between the two; we've all earned different reputations, be they positive or negative, that contribute to the overall picture of our...alignment, if you will.  There are lots of individual pieces, pieces that are missed by games like Fable because they just focus on the big picture.

If you want an example of what I'm talking about in action, I suggest you pick up a copy of Fallout 2 and play for a few days.  You'll notice, in your little character sheet thing, that as you play, you earn different reputations that make NPCs react differently to you, sometimes.  There's also a general karma counter thrown into the mix...best of both worlds,  if you will.

Since this kind of thing interests me,

I've been poking around at a similar system, but instead tossing aside the whole straight good + evil thing, in favor of a bunch of reputation flags, which people then react to based on their own consideration of them. I've got a whole this area pisses on that area train of thought involved, but in a fantasy setting it could make sense that what a bunch of necromancers look up to you for would seriously piss off a bunch of Orcs who think the dead should be left alone. Without going into what your nominally good people would think of such acts. Or the followers of an unspecified blood god think your character is awesome for the ass whooping delivered to a massive siege beside a bunch of heroes of an unnamed emperor, maybe even enough to follow you into battle like those heroes did, just for different reasons. Gets complex as hell real quick though.

The important thing of it being that people judge you based on the acts, rather than a generic meter, and some people view the acts differently regardless.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2012, 05:52:02 pm »
Actually, I was thinking of doing just that.  Some people like vigilantes, some don't, so on and so forth.  Makes the whole thing more believable, no?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 05:55:35 pm by RavynousHunter »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2012, 05:55:40 pm »
I wrote the script for a cutscene last night, may as well put it here and see what you guys think.  Spoiler'd in case any of you guys don't want the latter bits of my game spoiled for ya.

[FYI: The song at the beginning there is the one that comes to mind when I imagine this playing out...not that I'd use it in my game.  Not unless Amon Amarth gave me permission, which would be SWEET.]

(click to show/hide)

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2012, 09:17:23 pm »
Can you unset and reset your skills after you reach lvl 30?
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2012, 11:10:21 pm »
Think I'll take up a system similar to lesser/greater reincarnation in DDO.  Basically, yes, you can, but it requires some rather rare and expensive items to do so.  So, while you can roll back and make better decisions regarding skills and such, it won't be easy, thereby encouraging players to still be careful with their selections, while not totally shafting them.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2012, 11:44:56 pm »
What do you mean 2-d? Will you only be able to move horizontally, or can you move in all directions?

Distind

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2012, 06:36:56 am »
What do you mean 2-d? Will you only be able to move horizontally, or can you move in all directions?
Most likely 2d graphics rather than 3d. Drawn art rather than animated 3d Models.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2013, 10:51:18 pm »
Aah, thank you, Lexi, for giving me yet another irritating GIF to blacklist.  As for the background of humans, orcs, elves, and gnomes...  I've got some notes, there, but I'll need to compile em and make sure its all kosher, first.  That, and my brain's kinda half-way functional right now, from exhaustion.  A 24-hour bus ride will do that.

Have you figured it out now?