Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Politics and Government / Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Last post by dpareja on Today at 02:54:00 am »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/us-ambassador-knight-craft-1.4366936

Who did Trump name as US Ambassador to Canada?

Kelly Knight Craft, who believes "both sides" of the climate change "debate".
The Lounge / Re: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread
« Last post by Skybison on October 23, 2017, 11:24:05 pm »
Gravitational interaction is super weak at any scale... it's just that charge doesn't scale with size the way mass does.

I know there's one notion in string theory that says that gravity is every bit as strong as the other three forces, just that it mostly acts in one of those other seven dimensions.
The Lounge / Re: Things That Annoy You
« Last post by niam2023 on October 23, 2017, 05:59:47 pm »
Things that annoy me; these last five or seven pounds that will just not go on my body - 200 pounds is so close, yet it seems so far away.
Suddenly I am very curious if you find the existence of photons equally offensive.

Because, like, a lot of the appeal of gravitons as an idea is that all the other fundamental forces have a particle associated with them; photons for electromagnetism, W and Z bosons for the weak interaction, gluons for the strong interaction.

Also, to take a stab at answering your questions: no, you can't run out of exchange particles. There isn't a finite supply, new ones are created and destroyed all the time.
Yes, there's a lightspeed delay on gravity. It would be weird if there wasn't; if the effects of gravity were immediate you could theoretically use that for FTL signalling and break causality.

(guessing here) I think gravitons can interact with each other, but you shouldn't think of it as tiny balls crashing against each other and bouncing off in whatever direction. Fundamental particles are screwy and do not behave like macroscopic objects. Also, their only interaction would be gravitational anyway, and gravitational interaction is super weak at that scale, so they wouldn't interact a lot.
Politics and Government / Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Last post by dpareja on October 23, 2017, 05:30:29 pm »
I always look at British politics and all I can really think about it is "and people think a non-two party system is without problems?".

The UK (and Canada) use an electoral system that tends toward two parties or regionalism (Duverger's Law) and attempt to have a multi-party system.
Australia ends up the same with preferential voting. Though you can end up where independents or outliers like the Greens hold the balance of power. Overall it's still dominated by two major parties that bought the neoliberal mantra hook, line and sinker.

Hare is a 100% fucked up system. Any time I hear that some jurisdiction is considering adopting it I scream.
« Last post by Sigmaleph on October 23, 2017, 05:26:30 pm »
When you, on a whim, try to log in to a site that you haven't logged into in years, and they've changed domains, and your username is registered, but you can't get your password and the emails for resetting it don't go to your email: annoying

Uhhhh if an admin could help me out, that'd be great?

If you tell me which account this is, I'll reset the password and send an email to the address associated with that account

Shivahn. Keeping it old school. Also, apparently, logging in once every site generation.

Check your email, and welcome back :)
Politics and Government / Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Last post by Tolpuddle Martyr on October 23, 2017, 05:09:31 pm »
I always look at British politics and all I can really think about it is "and people think a non-two party system is without problems?".

The UK (and Canada) use an electoral system that tends toward two parties or regionalism (Duverger's Law) and attempt to have a multi-party system.
Australia ends up the same with preferential voting. Though you can end up where independents or outliers like the Greens hold the balance of power. Overall it's still dominated by two major parties that bought the neoliberal mantra hook, line and sinker.
The Lounge / Re: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread
« Last post by ironbite on October 23, 2017, 04:30:37 pm »
......I love this man so much.
« Last post by Shiv on October 23, 2017, 02:45:32 pm »
When you, on a whim, try to log in to a site that you haven't logged into in years, and they've changed domains, and your username is registered, but you can't get your password and the emails for resetting it don't go to your email: annoying

Uhhhh if an admin could help me out, that'd be great?

If you tell me which account this is, I'll reset the password and send an email to the address associated with that account

Shivahn. Keeping it old school. Also, apparently, logging in once every site generation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10