Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Society and History / Re: Linking Park singer commits suicide
« Last post by Vypernight on July 21, 2017, 04:59:29 am »
Horrible tragedy.  I remember listening to LP during a pretty bad break-up in 2001 and even dedicating a couple of songs to my ex.  Then when I met my now wife, we started to listen to them more.

RIP Chester.
Entertainment and Television / Re: Tabletop Game Thread
« Last post by Askold on July 21, 2017, 02:32:26 am »
Got dragged into an Empires in arms campaign.  A strategy game of Napoleonic era wars. We are running a longer campaign that adds more rules and misery to the game. This may take a year or two in real time...

Meanwhile in Shadowrun: the team got an easy job. Kill a crew that does snuff BTL. Team got the location and the time and tried to find more info on who the crew is working for to take out some "management" as well. Just to make sure the mafia gets the message.

Instead two of the team members decided that they haven't blown up anything in a while. Few days in advance they went to the squatter building  (film studio was in the basement) to srt up 80kg of explosives to the supports. ...They did the math to make sure that the building would collapse neatly (their math was wrong.)

They forgot about the squatters... When the hobos came to question them they obviously failed all con and negotiation checks because they were the least social team members and they hadn't told the rest of the team... Decker offered free housing for the hobos in a better home for 2 months. Hobos got suspicious and were about to leave. Decker cuts one of them in half with a monowhip because of course he did... Then he pays 3 months of housing elsewhere  (20000 nuyen) to the rest of them to keep quiet  (they wont.)

When the day comes the rest of the team finds out about the plan only when they giggle as my character tells the Adept to take position on the roof of the target building.

The team decided to stay a bit back and blow up the building when the enemies have gotten in. Instead Decker panics and blows it up too soon. This only kills a few mooks and 6 children in a nearby building because they had put twice as much explosives as was needed...

Public awareness goes up, the targets are now more cautious and the "easy job" is getting harder and harder...
...this should be good.

For one, why did you continue to post on Kiwifarms well after your post establishing your contrition? For two, why show up now of all times, once we've just gotten done looking into your activities? And lastly, is this part and parcel of some infantile attempt at a "raid" by Chris Chandler's internet stalkers?
« Last post by Kanzenkankaku on July 21, 2017, 12:43:51 am »
I guess you could say he tried so hard, and got so far. But in the end, it doesn't even matter.

Horrible joke.
I did giggle a bit tough.

I don't think I listened to much of his newer stuff but I definitely remember listening to a lot of the real famous ones and trying my hardest to 100% them in Guitar Hero. It feels so long ago now.
Entertainment and Television / Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Last post by Cloud3514 on July 21, 2017, 12:41:02 am »
Harmonix put In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida in Rock Band.

My response: Wait a minute. This sounds like rock and/or roll.
« Last post by Art Vandelay on July 20, 2017, 11:39:36 pm »
I guess you could say he tried so hard, and got so far. But in the end, it doesn't even matter.
Science and Technology / Re: Fuck Off As A Service
« Last post by Kanzenkankaku on July 20, 2017, 11:37:54 pm »
Software engineers: we won't tell you to fuck off, we've got tools to do that for us.

Ah, the wonders of modern life.
This is a new evolutionary theory that may change the Out of Africa Theory. Scientists have found a new fossil of what they think is a newly discovered hominin. They found these fossils in Greece and Bulgaria.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/05/22/europe-birthplace-mankind-not-africa-scientists-find/

Currently, most experts believe that our human lineage split from apes around seven million years ago in central Africa, where hominids remained for the next five million years before venturing further afield.

But two fossils of an ape-like creature which had human-like teeth have been found in Bulgaria and Greece, dating to 7.2 million years ago.

The discovery of the creature, named Graecopithecus freybergi, and nicknameded ‘El Graeco' by scientists, proves our ancestors were already starting to evolve in Europe 200,000 years before the earliest African hominid.

An international team of researchers say the findings entirely change the beginning of human history and place the last common ancestor of both chimpanzees and humans - the so-called Missing Link - in the Mediterranean region.
"To some extent this is a newly discovered missing link"Professor Nikolai Spassov, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences

I think this is fascinating because this may be the oldest fossil of a hominin ever found and the fact that it was found in Europe is making scientists question the current theory that we emerged from Africa. I just wonder what other developments might actually come from this.

Question: Do you use the echos symbol around the names and pronouns of Jewish people? Because I saw this article and similarly titled threads on several anti-Semitic sites, and I'm curious.

No, I don't do that and I think it's stupid. I am also not an anti-Semite if that is what you are implying. I also don't usually buy into conspiracy theories who often do that parenthesis thing.
Suggestion Box / Re: How About a "Like" Button?
« Last post by Radiation on July 20, 2017, 10:56:44 pm »
I think it depends on the forum. It may work for some and not for others. Kiwi Farms has a huge rating system and there is very little drama surrounding those. Maybe it's because the userbase are the type of people not to give a shit about how their posts are rated. But some forums can get into fights over things like a rating system and this is one of those that can't handle a rating system of any kind.
Politics and Government / Re: I didn't know Australia had second-class citizens
« Last post by dpareja on July 20, 2017, 10:27:46 pm »
Did you know you can't become a senator in Canada unless you are at least 30 years old? Shameful.

Did you know you can't become a senator in Argentina unless you are at least 30 years old? Shameful.

In all seriousness, I understand why the requirement was there initially, but I don't think it really needs to be there any more. I'd rather see something like requiring a graduate degree (or similar professional certification), with either that degree or an undergraduate degree from a Canadian university (but then I'm biased).

EDIT: And an age requirement is something that, barring unfortunate events, everybody will eventually attain; being natural-born (President of Argentina) is not; holding no other citizenships (Australian Parliament) is something that some people can't help (it's very hard to get rid of some countries' citizenships--I'm looking at you, USA).

EDIT #2: There are also property and net worth requirements for the Senate, but (excepting a technicality relating to Quebec) Parliament can do away with those by a simple majority vote should it wish to.

Many things about the argentinian political system are shameful, this is not in dispute.

I just think it's silly to claim any requirement to hold elected office, which ~every country has including yours, means someone is a second-class citizen.

Senators are not elected; they are appointed.

And when some citizens have rights or privileges other citizens cannot attain (or not without great difficulty), or some are subject to certain duties or responsibilities others are not, then I do consider there to be multiple classes of citizenship.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10