Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
The Lounge / Re: Fundie Index
« Last post by SomeApe on September 17, 2017, 03:52:40 am »
There's two buttons on the end of a quote: "WTF?" and "meh". If you press "WTF?", the index of the quote rises a point, "meh" decreases the index by one point. Simple as that. But I heard shy might change the system slightly in the future...

Welcome btw!
Science and Technology / Re: Google facing multiple lawsuits
« Last post by Tolpuddle Martyr on September 16, 2017, 08:11:40 pm »

They do worse than get into scuffles at rallies. They make unprovoked attacks on people simply because they were there. Or have you already forgotten about the cancelled Yiannpolous talk in Berkeley? Antifa are thugs LARPing as freedom fighters. Why shouldn't I be against them?

Also, I'd like you to explain why you think the memo is "sexist" and "anti-science", preferably with direct quotes from it.
Because fishing for and cherry picking data to support your conclusion is precisely the opposite of science. When you start with this statement.

"When it comes to diversity and inclusion, Google’s left bias has created a politically correct monoculture that maintains its hold by shaming dissenters into silence."

And then thrash around looking for anything to back it up you're doing political advocacy, not science. It's the opposite of science. The scientific method gathers evidence, develops a hypothesis based on said evidence and only then starts talking about a theory. The google manifesto started with butthurt, tried to bolster the butthurt with bullet points of cherry picked statistics and then declared butthurt to be so, that's the fucking precise opposite of science.

Google guy is pretending to be the guy on the left when in fact he's the guy on the right, start with a contentious conclusion and bolster it with a bunch of sciency words is not fucking science!

And I still can't muster any sympathy for those who wear a swastika, or a MAGA hat for that matter. Both stand for the politics of white racial supremacy but I guess, sure - you shouldn't launch uprovoked attacks on racist fuckholes not because it makes you look bad but because unprovoked attacks bad m'kay? Not gonna lose any sleep when it happens though.

Bottom line, ANTIFA's stated historical reason for existence, that you can't rely on the state to stop Nazis, was bourne out in Berkely, where the cops disarmed Antifa but not the right wing  thugs LARPing as freedom fighters and in Charlottsville, where Heather Heyer was killed and that African American fella was thumped with poles by Nazis mere yards a police station, the cops just sorta hung back.

If the cops cannot be bothered defending a synagogue from crowds yelling "jews will not replace us" then the good police officers of Charlottsville are essentially advertising for Antifa. You don't want an out of control anti far right counterinsurgency? Get your fucking police to do their damn jobs!
Religion and Philosophy / Re: Christian News Network fundies
« Last post by Bob J. on September 16, 2017, 06:23:32 pm »
In the last day the following votes

Garbage Adam -
vladislavdmorzabe 6 comments total; last one 2 years ago

KingOfRhye -
disqus_xn1bDNn5UG 1 comment total; 3 years ago

Bob Johnson -
luvdemwarriors 11 comments total; last one 6 years ago

Society and History / Re: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Last post by Lana Reverse on September 16, 2017, 04:11:08 pm »
Found on r/conspiracy:

People keep talking about how the Russians are infringing on our democracy and are trying to influence the will of the people, but all I see are Jews.

Jewish media, Jewish lawyers, Jewish politicians, Jewish special interest groups...

I know this is a touchy subject.

I have to say, I did not start life thinking like this, and I actually don't consider myself an antisemite. As a matter of fact, my viewpoints about the state of Israel/Palestine can be considered quite conservative (though I have grown ambivelent in some respects).

And yet, I just kept noticing all these strange "coincidences"...
Religion and Philosophy / Re: Conversations with Sharon at home
« Last post by Bob J. on September 16, 2017, 03:24:30 pm »
“Do you believe everything you read. This person is crazy to think that the mind and the brain are two different entities and that they work separately (at least that is what I am reading from this)
Obviously he does not understand the Omnipotence of God because God put everything together in a way that this man does not grasp. He sounds like a scientist that wants to prove a concept that he cannot prove.
This is what this man believes, it is an opinion not fact.”

Actually a couple of items on this post of yours, which I just upvoted. First. the attribution to Devraj Wodeyar is misleading. He is a chemist and blogger, who copied it from
http://www.allaboutphilosophy.org/dualism.htm
a Christian ministry in Colorado.

The quote is in support of dualism and against materialism. That is, he states “If dualism that is not true.” And what he is arguing is that the soul survives after the death of the brain / body.
Science and Technology / Re: Google facing multiple lawsuits
« Last post by ironbite on September 16, 2017, 03:21:27 pm »
You're not helping your case of not being Ultimate Dragon/Dynamic Paragon you know.

Ironbite-but then again its about what I expect from you.
Dillahunty is strawmanning the hate speech laws (at least the one we have in Finland) pretty badly. I do have my suspicions about if that kind of law would work in the American context with only two parties and an extremely politicized judicial system. These things make abusing the law or adjusting it to make it more vulnerable to abuse much easier. If any party or coalition would have enough political capital and power to change the legal definitions of protected groups (this definition applies to many laws) and/or what is "agitation against"* in a way that makes the law oppressive we would be in deep doo-doo since they would have broken our system so badly that not having so called hate speech law would not matter much. They could just make that law or any other oppressive law by themselves.

Also, he is just repeating the same arguments about punching Nazis and violence in general that have been presented and brings nothing new to this discussion.

* The current definition is dehumanization by either use of language (comparing to vermins etc.) or lying about facts to make generalizations. This is my, a non-lawyer's, approximate memory about the definition. The actual terms are defined in the law books and parliament's documentation when they made the law in a manner that makes it clear for a legal expert what the intention is.
The Lounge / Re: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread
« Last post by Art Vandelay on September 16, 2017, 08:27:13 am »

So, everyone except white people are a bunch of superstitious mouth breathers? Well, alright. If you say so, internet.
The Lounge / Fundie Index
« Last post by FundieBuster on September 16, 2017, 05:24:34 am »
I'm sure this is common knowledge to everyone but me, but how is the "Fundie Index" calculated? I thought it was determined by the number of comments on a post, but that can't be right, because there are lots of posts that have a higher Fundie Index despite a fewer number of comments than other posts that have more comments.

So, how does the Fundie Index work?

Religion and Philosophy / Re: Conversations with Sharon at home
« Last post by KingOfRhye on September 16, 2017, 12:02:31 am »
Oh wait....

Beamer/MamaBearly/Sharon_at_home.

You're Beamer, Sharon???  I totally didn't realize that.  LOL
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]