Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 575967 times)

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #10410 on: March 29, 2017, 01:51:15 pm »
I find it funny that the US has made defending the country voluntary, but has forcible jury duty.  Because fuck me if I want to pass this semester, I guess.  God damned barbarism.

It's the same in the UK.  Thing is forced jury service is the only way to get anyone to do it, whereas the military seems to have little trouble finding volunteers for some reason.  Personally I'd prefer to do neither, and I think the judicial system and the country are better off without my involvement quite frankly lol.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10411 on: March 29, 2017, 02:58:54 pm »
Meanwhile in Finland military service is kinda compulsory while jury duty is a profession.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10412 on: March 29, 2017, 03:11:00 pm »
I find it funny that the US has made defending the country voluntary, but has forcible jury duty.  Because fuck me if I want to pass this semester, I guess.  God damned barbarism.

There's no exception for being a student? Jeez.

Granted, I'll probably never have to serve on a jury, since all I'll say is that I have an M.Sc. in Math, and the Crown attorney will say, "Thanks but no thanks."
Quote from: William Lyon Mackenzie King
There are few men in this Parliament for whom I have greater respect than the leader of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation. I admire him in my heart, because time and again he has had the courage to say what lays on his conscience, regardless of what the world might think of him. A man of that calibre is an ornament to any Parliament.

Quote from: Drago Musevini's 'Manifesto'
Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Which is a problem. If you are powerless.

Online davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #10413 on: March 29, 2017, 06:50:24 pm »

In civilized countries being a full time student is grounds for being excused from Jury Duty.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • Got the moves like Viktor.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10414 on: March 29, 2017, 08:23:12 pm »
Yeah, Sleeps agrees that its bullshit, too.  Fuck's sake, I HAVE SHIT TO DO.  I'm not in danger of failing, but god damn it, I'd take fucking computational theory over jury duty.
Quote from: Mikasa Ackerman
If I win, I live.  If I lose, I die.  Unless I fight, I cannot win.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10415 on: April 09, 2017, 06:32:33 am »
Finland 100 years: Neo-Nazis are posted in front of voting places.

Not right where I am though, a buddy of mine saw them at a different city when she was going to vote.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!