Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2058314 times)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #10425 on: May 04, 2017, 08:21:22 pm »
Now you might be wondering "Wouldn't companies just rule in favor of whoever payed them the most?  Wouldn't poor people be unable to afford legal protection?  Wouldn't that make the law impossible to enforce since a rapist could refuse to go to any court that wasn't run by MRAs?  Wouldn't the competing police forces/courts inevitably clash with each other and cause a civil war, the winner would be a new government?"  The answer to these questions is "NO, BECAUSE IT JUST WOULDN'T SHUT UP!"

disclaimer: I'm not an ancap. I don't necessarily believe these answers, but they are my best guess of what an ancap would say.

Wouldn't companies just rule in favor of whoever payed them the most?
If your company was known to be biased like this, people who expect to be innocent would not want to hire it (because they expect to be innocent and don't want to pay extra for rulings in their favour). Further, if I know you hire companies that will rule in favour of the highest bidder then I won't interact with you, including trade, and you will lose money.

Wouldn't poor people be unable to afford legal protection?

I think the two standard arguments are 'there would be less poor people in ancapistan' and 'it's not like the current system doesn't fuck the poor anyway, we'd still be a strict improvement over it'.

Wouldn't that make the law impossible to enforce since a rapist could refuse to go to any court that wasn't run by MRAs?

A condition for me interacting with you is that we'll both have some sort of corporation whose rules we both agree with. If rapists refuse to be bound by the rules of a corporation that bans rape, then they will be expelled out of every private space run by people who are against rape. They can go live in their little rapist utopia along with people who want to live alongside rapists.

Wouldn't the competing police forces/courts inevitably clash with each other and cause a civil war, the winner would be a new government?

War is very costly and rational organizations will attempt diplomatic solutions over violent ones, unless one organization is overwhelmingly more powerful than the rest (in which case that organization is the government, and you're not living in ancapistan).
Σא

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #10426 on: May 06, 2017, 01:19:12 am »
Ladies and Gentlemen, my family.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10427 on: May 06, 2017, 01:27:47 am »
Ladies and Gentlemen, my family.

I actually agree with some of that, but just, damn, that person's an ass.

Also, the bill is DOA in the Senate. They cannot get more than 49 for the House bill as passed. (They lose Collins and Murkowski over defunding Planned Parenthood, Portman over reversing the Medicaid expansion, and every Democratic Senator knows that their career will be over if they vote for the Republican replacement for the ACA.)

Plus Senate Republicans already said, "Congratulations on passing a bill, now we're going to work on Cassidy-Collins and we'll get back to you in a conference committee."
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10428 on: May 06, 2017, 01:58:07 am »
...How about reading the part of the Bible where Jesus tells us to take care of each other? Even strangers.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10429 on: May 07, 2017, 02:26:57 pm »
There is this meme in Finland now...

Write "minun nimeni on" to google translate, followed by your name. (The phrase means "my name is" in Finnish.)

The results are weird.

One buddy got "my name is no connection."

I on the other hand get "my name is asshole."

Because of course I do.

My wife on the other hand gets "my name is to let the forest frog" which at least sounds cool.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10430 on: May 07, 2017, 07:08:40 pm »
With my first name, I get "My name is different."  Well, that's not untrue.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #10431 on: May 07, 2017, 09:41:29 pm »
My name is port. So I'm either booze or a place for ships to stop.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #10432 on: May 07, 2017, 10:02:06 pm »
Either that or a carrybag for the famous five

Offline SomeApe

• Bishop
« Reply #10433 on: May 08, 2017, 01:18:15 am »
 :o Ok, this is scary. When i opened google translate it was already set to finnish! How did it know?!
No strange results of the translation though...
just your regular ape

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10434 on: May 08, 2017, 02:48:01 am »
It seems that google translate will recognize some names and the weird results come from having a name that is not used in other languages. Though this theory may have flaws as my wife has a common name that is written the same way in English, Scandinavian languages, German and some other languages as well though there are few variations.

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #10435 on: May 08, 2017, 03:12:10 am »
There is this meme in Finland now...

Write "minun nimeni on" to google translate, followed by your name. (The phrase means "my name is" in Finnish.)

The results are weird.

One buddy got "my name is no connection."

I on the other hand get "my name is asshole."

Because of course I do.

My wife on the other hand gets "my name is to let the forest frog" which at least sounds cool.

Does nothing for me. Literally, I just get my name out of it.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10436 on: May 08, 2017, 10:44:42 am »
There's a blizzard outside.

...The next person to claim that climate change is not a thing is going to lose some teeth.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #10437 on: May 08, 2017, 11:25:26 am »
But how can a blizzard be real if climate change isn't real?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10438 on: May 08, 2017, 11:41:41 am »
But how can a blizzard be real if climate change isn't real?

T̘̦̝̘h̙̼̯̯e̳͙̲ ̥̖c̦̪̝̩̜̻̟̟o̫̻̘̠n̫͖̲̰̺͕̫̳d̖̦i͎̪͓͚͇̬̞͙͙ṭ̝̳̫̱̤͕͎̳i̤̪o͈n̬̥͕̱̟̜͖s̟̳ͅ ̱̲͚h͇̰̪͍̱a͎̣͇v͎̥̣͇̘̬̤̲e̠̦ͅ ̜̩̬͖̞b̘̯ḙ̥͙̦̬e̟̙͉n̞̹̩͇̜ ͚̳̠m͓̬͍̻̼̳̙̹ḛ͚̪̩̞̪̲͈t̻͖̪.̖̱̙̞ ̦̝͔͇̙̦ͅͅT̤̝̱̖h̘̳̯̜̞e͉̘͚̫̭ ̲̱̫f̩a̘̪̱̳t͖̻̠̰e̦̩̺̰ ̱̩̦̥o̮̬̞͚̫͎f̙̱̲͙͖͍ͅ ͈̝͉̲̣͔͈̪y̦̻̼̪̟o̪̯͓͉̦̱̼ụ̮̲̟r̩ͅ ͚t͓̫̭̥͍̺̗͓e͕̜̝͔̞e̼̮͇̺t̪͓̮̯̦͉̺ẖ͈̗̰ ͙̱h̟͓̝̯̳͈͉̤a̞͓̪̗̘̘̹̩s̤͍̪ ̭̣̱̰̮̳͎b͚͍̬̻̹̺̤̳e͕e̥̰̰n̫͍ ̟s̭͚e̥͎̻̤̳̰a͇̲͎̹̲̭͍l̳̱͓̞͖͍͙̤e̘̬ͅd̗̜̼͚̤.͉̗͎

Have a nice day.

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #10439 on: May 08, 2017, 09:33:08 pm »
Apparently this is site is filtered from Burger King's wifi under "Adult, Other". Why?