Author Topic: Greece Recognizes Pedophilia, Exhibitionism, Kleptomania As Disabilities  (Read 6044 times)

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
Yeah, you read it right.

ATHENS, Greece -- Greek disability groups expressed anger Monday at a government decision to expand a list of state-recognized disability categories to include pedophiles, exhibitionists and kleptomaniacs.

The National Confederation of Disabled People called the action "incomprehensible," and said pedophiles are now awarded a higher government disability pay than some people who have received organ transplants.

The Labor Ministry said categories added to the expanded list – that also includes pyromaniacs, compulsive gamblers, fetishists and sadomasochists – were included for purposes of medical assessment and used as a gauge for allocating financial assistance.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/09/greece-pedophilia-disability_n_1194578.html

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
Re: Greece Recognizes Pedophilia, Exhibitionism, Kleptomania As Disabilities
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 07:55:09 pm »
I pity pedophiles, because the responsible ones know that they can't act on their desires or else they will hurt children.

But a disability? No.

And many sadomasochists and fetishists would probably object to being called "disabled."
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 09:04:34 pm »
I would agree that Pedophilia and Kleptomania could reasonably be considered mental disabilities, as they would probably impair one's ability to day-to-day things.
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 09:20:10 pm »
I would agree that Pedophilia and Kleptomania could reasonably be considered mental disabilities, as they would probably impair one's ability to day-to-day things.

I'm not sure if "disability" is the right word for pedophilia, but I do agree that it needs to be treated as a psychiatric condition rather than a thought crime. Frankly, I wouldn't be shocked if the current pedo-hunt is actually hindering society's ability to prevent child molestation.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 09:50:04 pm »
From what I understand of how disabilities work, I'd have to agree with Kit.

And having a disability doesn't exempt you from legal responsibility. Son of Sam was diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenic, wasn't he?

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 10:02:21 pm »

And having a disability doesn't exempt you from legal responsibility. Son of Sam was diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenic, wasn't he?

You are right...Schizophrenia is considered a disability...Couldn't in certain cases Pedo be considered a sort of PTSD, in so far as something like 80 % of pedophiles are traumatized (molested themselves as youths) and their mental capacity for understand certain rights and wrongs is permanently fucked?

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 10:10:19 pm »

You are right...Schizophrenia is considered a disability...Couldn't in certain cases Pedo be considered a sort of PTSD, in so far as something like 80 % of pedophiles are traumatized (molested themselves as youths) and their mental capacity for understand certain rights and wrongs is permanently fucked?

A number of pedophiles actually wish they weren't, and make a conscious effort to restrain their urges. http://www.psychforums.com/paraphilias/topic80300.html

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 10:23:03 pm »
Considering pedophilia is a paraphernalia paraphilia... I wouldn't be surprised if most pedophiles slip completely under the radar because they don't molest kids because they know this is fucking wrong.

Just like most snuff fetishists don't go choking people to death/getting choked to death every time they needed a release.

Or like most <insert dangerous fetish here> fetishists don't <enact dangerous fetish> on people.

Unfortunately, our society seems to hate "thought crimes".  As in, we react to people fapping to drawings on paper.  Violently so.

...Recently on Deviantart, one of the prominent tickle fetishists on DA got people all riled up based on the idea that, hey, there are some characters that are under 18 being tickled innocently, and there are people that fap to it.  THIS IS SICK AND WRONG WE SHOULD HUNT THEM DOWN.

And it bothered me.  Because you can't choose your paraphernalia paraphilia.  I was probably born with one of my fetishes (it manifested non-sexually before I can even remember) so... yeah.

This "witch hunt" is stupid.  And what's worse is, it's easy to get sucked into, even with this knowledge.

By the way, have I mentioned that for the longest time, fundies have pounded "homosexuality = pedophilia" into my head?  I used to be friends with a few kids (as a teenager, mind you) that were the little brothers of my ex-best-friend from church.  If those parents find out that I'm gay, I'm almost certain they would accuse me of being a pedophile, and even pressuring their kids into believing I had molested them somehow.  It's actually gotten me quite paranoid about children.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 11:01:45 pm by Zachski »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 10:51:38 pm »
Are you sure most pedophiles were, themselves, molested? It sounds a lot like that myth about gay people. On the other hand, part of me can believe it, because abusive parents DO tend to raise abusive kids, sadly.

I wasn't really saying that all pedos are child molestors, I was noting that pedophelia being a disorder wouldn't get you off of child molestation charges any more than being schizophrenic doesn't get you off of murder charges. And, might I add, that schizophrenic murderers are an extreme rarity.

I'll be honest. I don't like the snuff fetish. I find it highly disturbing that people fap to graphic torture & death. Even with the more extreme BDSM types, there's a disconnect there in that, regardless of what they've written, they don't actually fantasize ABOUT death even if whatever they wrote probably WOULD kill a person in the real world. In their story, it doesn't work that way, because that would be gross. Still, I live by the mantra, "People can fap to whatever they want, so long as it doesn't interfere with anyone else."

I have to mention the BDSM-types, because I believe that's a group that would fit under Zachski's "witch hunt." Who do you go for when you want to paint a gay pride parade as abhorrant? That weird dude wearing more rubber than it is probably legal to put in tires. Disregard that he's not actually doing anything other than wearing an unconventional outfit that implies he's handcuffed someone to the bed at some point.

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 11:00:32 pm »
I don't know if it is actually 80% but it is waaaaaay up there

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 11:32:11 pm »
Whaaaaat.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 11:33:45 pm »
I don't know if it is actually 80% but it is waaaaaay up there

Yeah, I personally find that hard to believe. Are there any studies you could link to?

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 02:20:09 am »
To my knowledge, child molesters tend to have a history of trauma in their childhood. However, those child molesters are not pedophiles. It is a common misconception that child molestation and pedophilia go hand in hand, just like how many people believe that rape and sexual frustration go hand in hand. Most often child molestation, like rape, is about power, control and violence.

I agree that pedophilia is a disability, I don't think it should receive disability benefits like say blind people do. However, they would need counseling to help them. Also with pedophilia being listed as a disability it might (unlikely though) help people to learn and understand that pedophiles are not the sick perverts everyone thinks they are, but people with a legitimate psychological problem that they cannot change. Learning to live with that condition is hard enough without everyone discriminating against them.

I must admit though, exhibitionism and most of the other fetishes don't quite fall into the disability status like pedophilia and kleptomania, in my personal opinion.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 11:36:59 am »
Counseling yes.  Disability benefits no.  In no way should exhibitionism be counted as a disability.

Ironbite-would mean anyone who likes to show a bit of...oh my god.

shykid

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 12:28:27 pm »
Counselor, psychiatrist, and meds? Yes.

Disability benefits? Depends. If you really can't go out in public or hold a job without uncontrollably stealing/raping children/rockin' out with your cock out/etc., then sure. However, these issues are probably almost never quite that bad, and if they are, I'd imagine a good number of those people respond to therapy and meds enough to become functional member of society again.