Author Topic: What Are You Reading?  (Read 134601 times)

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
Re: What Are You Reading?
« Reply #225 on: May 14, 2013, 03:10:45 am »
Dunno why, but I've been attempting to read Hobbes' Leviathan. It's significantly more dull than Scott Westerfeld's trilogy of the same name.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #226 on: May 14, 2013, 03:42:18 am »
Just started reading Left-Wing Communism: An Infantile Disorder by Vladimir Lenin.  So far...actually fairly interesting.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #227 on: May 29, 2013, 08:10:54 pm »
Read Henning Mankell's last Kurt Wallander novel, The Troubled Man.  It was good, but like all of Mankell's novels, quite dark.  Also, a discussion began in the book club over whether Mankell is antisemitic.  (My coworker was shocked that there are Americans who are pro-Israel without also being pro-Jew.)

Almost done reading Feist.  I'm up to Rides a Dread Legion now.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #228 on: May 29, 2013, 08:15:16 pm »
Finished History of the arabs by rogan. Amazing.

Now onto the Cosmos by Sagan. Goddamn hes dramatic
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #229 on: May 29, 2013, 09:07:17 pm »
Finished "Predictably Irrational" by Dan Ariely

now reading "Perfectly Legal: The Covert Campaign to Rig Our Tax System to Benefit the Super-Rich–and Cheat Everybody Else" by David Cay Johnston.

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #230 on: May 29, 2013, 09:09:59 pm »
Currently reading Island, by Aldous Huxley.  Finding his writing style a bit purple so far, although he's put forward some interesting ideas.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
« Reply #231 on: May 29, 2013, 10:04:05 pm »
I finished A Midsummer Night's Dream. I liked it. Still working on Leviathan on and off, Hobbes is an asshole.

The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

wrightway

« Reply #232 on: May 29, 2013, 10:32:57 pm »
I realized I owned a Jane Austen book set and had only read four of them. I'm remedying this.

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
« Reply #233 on: May 30, 2013, 05:15:29 am »
The Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings. 

Offline Igor

• The Beast
« Reply #234 on: May 31, 2013, 08:28:37 pm »
Oh, I forgot to mention, I'm reading Death Comes to Pemberley by P. D. James. It's very different from other P. D. James novels in that it's done in the style of Jane Austen and I believe is a direct continuation of the story of Pride and Prejudice (which I admit I haven't read yet), though of course, being P. D. James, it's a murder mystery.

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #235 on: June 01, 2013, 02:37:29 am »
A good chunk of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (this is my first read-through), then I read the most recent two chapters of the fanfiction 'Embers'.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #236 on: June 01, 2013, 04:21:09 am »
I am reading the Black Company books by Glen Cook. Finished the first one and starting the second.

So far seems interesting.

Also, I found a Judge Dredd book, "Cursed earth asylum," going to see if it's any good.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Igor

• The Beast
« Reply #237 on: June 04, 2013, 08:18:05 am »
Just finished Death Comes to Pemberley. It was pretty good, albeit a bit hard to follow at times. I must say, though, if anyone ever tries to tell you that the past was a simpler time, they are LYING.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #238 on: July 02, 2013, 09:31:56 am »
Demons by dostoyevsky. Havnt read a good fiction in aaaaages
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
« Reply #239 on: July 02, 2013, 05:42:55 pm »
I picked up Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell again. I had tried reading it a couple years back but it was really slow going, and then I got frustrated because I lost a whole bunch of progress when I accidentally pulled my bookmark so I tried to find the approximate page, bookmarked that, and put it away. Picked it up again the other day and it's a much easier read now. I'm about halfway through.