Author Topic: What Are You Reading?  (Read 121561 times)

Offline poeticmind0189

• Neonate
Re: What Are You Reading?
« Reply #345 on: February 27, 2014, 08:31:39 pm »
Once Upon a Town by Bob Greene

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #346 on: February 28, 2014, 08:03:07 pm »
Finished The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared yesterday, and Awoken (the Nostalgia Chick's Twilight parody thingy) the other day. Gotta start on something new now, not sure what yet.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #347 on: May 11, 2014, 12:01:49 am »
Finally started reading the A Song of Ice and Fire series a few days ago. Game of Thrones sucked me in pretty quickly -- I'm already almost halfway through the book, and I'll probably take in another few chapters before I go to bed tonight. Not normally into fantasy (sci-fi notwithstanding), especially in novel form, but the mix of low and high fantasy elements is pretty awesome.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #348 on: May 11, 2014, 12:50:30 am »
Coincidentally, I've been re-reading A Song of Ice and Fire (currently about halfway through A Dance with Dragons). I find I enjoy it even more when I can keep better track of who everyone is.

(click to show/hide)
Σא

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #349 on: May 11, 2014, 01:54:48 am »
Coincidentally, I've been re-reading A Song of Ice and Fire (currently about halfway through A Dance with Dragons). I find I enjoy it even more when I can keep better track of who everyone is.

(click to show/hide)

Keeping track of everyone in Game of Thrones hasn't been too much a challenge, since I've already seen the first two seasons of the show and have faces to put with most of the names, but I'm expecting that they'll be harder to keep track of as I make my way through the books.

Related anecdote: While my friend was watching the show, she wound up somehow drawing the conclusion that Robb Stark and Jon Snow were the same person, with their respective stories being set at different points in time. It took me a while to get her to believe that they're different characters.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #350 on: May 11, 2014, 02:20:18 am »
I've been reading a book called Mindhunter, about one of the founding fathers of the FBI's Investigative Support Unit.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #351 on: May 11, 2014, 03:07:56 am »
Joe Conrad's book about anarchists, The Secret Agent. Eh.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #352 on: May 11, 2014, 04:59:47 am »
House of Leaves.  A creepy and unorthodox book that requires a lot of mental discipline to read. 
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Igor

• The Beast
« Reply #353 on: May 11, 2014, 10:30:57 am »
House of Leaves.  A creepy and unorthodox book that requires a lot of mental discipline to read. 
Ftaires! We haue found ftaires!

The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
« Reply #354 on: May 11, 2014, 03:54:01 pm »
Been reading World War Z.  The audiobook edits a LOT of stuff out, consequently I didn't like it that much.  It's quite fascinating.

Sharon Shinn is a VERY good author.

Also, reading the Scott Pilgrim comics, BEFORE watching the movie ruined it for me.  You see the comics, and Scott comes off as a smarmy asshole, and you expect smarmy asshole voice, not Michael Cera's whiny little shithead voice.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
« Reply #355 on: May 15, 2014, 05:38:54 am »
Ftaires! We haue found ftaires!

Glad to see someone else has read the book, though I haven't gotten to that part yet.  Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts about the book, Random?
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Igor

• The Beast
« Reply #356 on: May 15, 2014, 07:46:15 am »
Oh uh, around the time I first came here I was pretty much obsessed with it, but I have to say it is one of the most unusual books I've ever read (and I intentionally seek out weird books). I really like how it tells the story in such a way that you largely experience it in almost the same way the characters do. When they're feeling claustrophobic, the type is set in such a way that it makes you (or at least me) feel claustrophobic as well as I'm reading it. I could go on and on, but I'll just say it was a fun read, it was terrifying, and it was difficult to get through yet very rewarding once you do. Not that it answers ANY of the questions it raises. The letters in the indexes at the end from Johnny's mother scared the fuck out of me, and I'll say no more as to that. Bit of advice, don't trust anything Johnny says, or anyone else for that matter.

As a side note, a quick search on youtube makes it obvious that HoL lends itself well to kinetic text montages, though I've noticed surprisingly few attempts to recreate the 5 1/2 Minute Hallway video.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
« Reply #357 on: May 16, 2014, 04:57:00 am »
Oh uh, around the time I first came here I was pretty much obsessed with it, but I have to say it is one of the most unusual books I've ever read (and I intentionally seek out weird books). I really like how it tells the story in such a way that you largely experience it in almost the same way the characters do. When they're feeling claustrophobic, the type is set in such a way that it makes you (or at least me) feel claustrophobic as well as I'm reading it. I could go on and on, but I'll just say it was a fun read, it was terrifying, and it was difficult to get through yet very rewarding once you do. Not that it answers ANY of the questions it raises. The letters in the indexes at the end from Johnny's mother scared the fuck out of me, and I'll say no more as to that. Bit of advice, don't trust anything Johnny says, or anyone else for that matter.

As a side note, a quick search on youtube makes it obvious that HoL lends itself well to kinetic text montages, though I've noticed surprisingly few attempts to recreate the 5 1/2 Minute Hallway video.

After you mentioned them, I found a couple of the videos.  Rather interesting and I can't wait to finish the book.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #358 on: May 16, 2014, 10:10:08 am »
The Crying of Lot 49.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
« Reply #359 on: May 16, 2014, 02:25:10 pm »
Oh, I forgot to mention, the other day I finished The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden, which I LOVED. Jonas Jonasson, who wrote it as well as The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared is officially one of my new favourite authors. I just love everything about his style, it's witty, it's absolutely hilarious, and while it does touch on some heavy subject matter it's not nearly as dark (and frankly depressing) as a lot of things I've been reading lately. It's nice to read something more lighthearted for a change.

On another note, I just finished Battle Royale again. As with last time it was brilliant, brutal, and really uncomfortable.