Author Topic: What Are You Reading?  (Read 122120 times)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
Re: What Are You Reading?
« Reply #210 on: March 14, 2013, 05:13:07 am »
"Sex, sin, and Zen," by Brad Warner.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #211 on: March 15, 2013, 02:02:49 pm »
Still reading Feist.  I'm up to Shards of a Broken Crown.  I'm still very, very sad about Jimmy the Hand.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #212 on: April 08, 2013, 05:34:04 am »
I will never let this thread die.
Read clockwork orange and 1984. I adore them both, i think i have a thing for dystopia
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #213 on: April 08, 2013, 04:04:27 pm »
The Pirate Primer as I'm doing research for my Pirates fanfiction story.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline agentCDE

• Bishop
  • Slacker Heathen Extraordinaire!
« Reply #214 on: April 08, 2013, 09:28:14 pm »
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad.

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #215 on: April 09, 2013, 08:42:23 am »
Currently reading All Quiet on the Western Front.  It's a delayed follow-up to Generation Kill, and reminds me that soldiers are the same the world over.

War... war never changes...

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #216 on: April 10, 2013, 08:55:55 am »
Just finished The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton.  It was awesome, and you will never see the ending coming.

In Feist news, I'm up to King of Foxes.

Also reading a YA novel called Blue Pimpernel.  I usually avoid Lulu books like the plague, but this was recommended to me and it's AWESOME.  If you like superheroes, mockery of the GOP, or sci-fi, this is a good book.  READ IT.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #217 on: April 12, 2013, 11:34:16 am »
Actually wondering what of my book collection to read next, am surrounded by books, can't really decide what to read...  Will read Wargames Illustrated before I make any decision.
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #218 on: April 12, 2013, 01:14:07 pm »
"The Shift" omnibus edition by Hugh Howey.  His ebooks are pretty good, and it's amazing how much success this dude has had since starting out as a self-published $1 per title sci-fi author on Kindle/Amazon just a couple years ago.

Makes me wish I could write fiction. Best wishes to those of you who are writing books right now for ebook self-publishing - I hope you succeed, too!
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #219 on: April 13, 2013, 08:19:47 am »
I've found a few sites that notify me of free Kindle books every day. Since they are free, I'll sometimes buy them. (If I don't like it, no loss...) At the moment, I have about 350 books on my Kindle, most of which I got for free. I am slowly working my way through them, though it's taking a while, and I keep getting more.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #220 on: April 13, 2013, 08:38:54 am »
Actually wondering what of my book collection to read next, am surrounded by books, can't really decide what to read...

I know the feeling... :(

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #221 on: April 13, 2013, 03:40:19 pm »
I've found a few sites that notify me of free Kindle books every day. Since they are free, I'll sometimes buy them. (If I don't like it, no loss...) At the moment, I have about 350 books on my Kindle, most of which I got for free. I am slowly working my way through them, though it's taking a while, and I keep getting more.

I've done that a lot too. I got complete collections of H.G. Wells and H. Rider Haggard, Jules Verne, etc etc, and it's not just the pre 1923 stuff that's available for free. Plus, there's just tons of $1 to $3 sci-fi, adventure and w/e from new authors - some pretty damn good ones, too.

All in all, my Kindle has been the best digital device I've ever bought for it's value and ease of use. I've even used the browser in an emergency when my desktop bricked, and could hear my tunes on the mp3 function with my headphones on a jack adapter.

I'll spring for a 3g one soon, so I'll have 'net next time we get a bad storm/long power outage here in FL.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #222 on: April 22, 2013, 03:13:02 pm »
The Last Judgment the link is just the excerpt. I read it in the doctor's office, hence the age.

I actually find it to be one of the more tasteful stories involving gender reassigment and such like that.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Stick Boy

• Aging Hipster
  • Apprentice
  • Government Grunt since 1989
« Reply #223 on: May 02, 2013, 10:13:27 am »
In preparation of the movie release, I'm rereading The Great Gatsbsy for the first time in 30ish years
I want to be unique.....just like everybody else

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #224 on: May 02, 2013, 10:14:14 pm »
Star Wars: The Adventures of Lando Calrissian