Author Topic: What Are You Reading?  (Read 121719 times)

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: What Are You Reading?
« Reply #240 on: July 02, 2013, 08:56:12 pm »
I got that one the other day!  Haven't started it yet, though.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #241 on: July 02, 2013, 08:57:31 pm »
Fair warning, it starts out really, REALLY slow. Picks up soon enough though.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #242 on: July 02, 2013, 09:12:53 pm »
I managed to get through Foucault's Pendulum, so it should be ok.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #243 on: July 02, 2013, 09:33:43 pm »
I loved Foucoult's Pendulum. Thought the Island of the Day Before was a bit hard going. Turgid even.

Offline Bender_Rodríguez

• Bishop
« Reply #244 on: July 03, 2013, 05:03:36 am »
So I just read the Harry Potter series for the first time.  I loved books 1-4, I devoured them as quickly as I could.  Then I hit book 5 and is the first half of that book hard to get through.  Thankfully it picked up towards the end and finished on a strong note.  Book 6 was also pretty hit and miss with all the Ron and Hermione crap seriously making me wonder how bad I wanted to finish the series.  Book 7 was entertaining and a good way to finish the series at least.  My biggest problem with the series as a whole was that there was almost no character development through most of the series.  Neville felt like he had more character development than either Ron or Hermione.  Snape was by far the most interesting character and I really enjoyed the way she kept you guessing as to whether he was evil or on the side of good. 

All in all, the series was well worth a read.  I really did enjoy it in spite of it's flaws

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #245 on: July 03, 2013, 08:19:16 am »
I'm reading the A Song of Ice and Fire series. I'm about a quarter of the way thru the second book, a Clash of Kings.

So far, I find myself wanting to kill Joffrey, I'm sad about Khal Drogo still, and I'm worried for Arya's safety.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Igor

• The Beast
« Reply #246 on: July 03, 2013, 08:48:48 am »
Forgot to mention I read The Casual Vacancy. It was dark. Dark dark dark. Not in the way Potter was dark, either, it was a little more Girl With The Dragon Tattoo-ish at times, though thankfully less detailed.

The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #247 on: July 03, 2013, 09:03:43 am »
Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes. It's a Vietnam book. It's truly fascinating; you can read it both as a window into the author's mind (he's clearly a manic depressive with some serious, and completely understandable, victimhood issues) or a straight recount of the war, or as a work of fiction. It's also very, very readable, the characters are believable, the prose is pretty and often beautiful. A truly great book.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline poeticmind0189

• Neonate
« Reply #248 on: July 13, 2013, 12:41:02 am »
I've been reading the series 39 Clues Cahills vs. Vespers. I started the series back on May 16 and I'm on book 4 Shatterproof (Almost Done)
Books in Series:
1. The Medusa's Plot
2. The King's Ransom
3. The Dead of Night
4. Shatterproof
5. Trust No One
6. Day of Doom

Offline Igor

• The Beast
« Reply #249 on: July 13, 2013, 08:24:47 am »
Just started A Song of Ice and Fire, well, you know, the first book anyway. I haven't seen the show and I'm going to hold off on seeing it now til I've finished the book. Also I finally finished Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, the first time I tried to read it I probably would have called bullshit on how it ended and demanded more, but having grown up since then I find it... satisfying.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #250 on: July 13, 2013, 04:39:01 pm »
In the middle of a reread of the Colligium Chronicles in anticipation for the release of the 5th book in the series this October.

Ironbite-swear to the gods above and below Lackey better not be teasing me like with Redoubt.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #251 on: July 13, 2013, 08:40:43 pm »
In the middle of a reread of the Colligium Chronicles in anticipation for the release of the 5th book in the series this October.

Ironbite-swear to the gods above and below Lackey better not be teasing me like with Redoubt.

Redoubt?

I'm finding myself underwhelmed with the Colligium Chronicles. The characters aren't up to her normal standard and the plots are see-through.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Crystal-King

• Neonate
« Reply #252 on: July 14, 2013, 01:14:17 am »
Reading a couple things by an author named Carrie Vaughn. Kitty's House of Horrors, a latter book in her urban fantasy series and After The Golden Age, a novel about the dysfuntional relationship between the two most popular superheroes of Commerce City and their non-powered daughter, told from the prospective of the daughter. It's past one and I couldn't come up with a better way to phrase it while indicating it was from the daughter's prespective without directly stating it like I ended up doing.

wrightway

« Reply #253 on: July 14, 2013, 01:20:47 am »
Feed, by Mira Grant. It's about zombies in the age of blogging and Romero movies. I love that the most popular names for girls after the rising of 2014 become Georgia, Georgette, and Barbara.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #254 on: July 14, 2013, 11:10:22 am »

Redoubt?

I'm finding myself underwhelmed with the Colligium Chronicles. The characters aren't up to her normal standard and the plots are see-through.

I'm committed to the full ride so I'm gonna see it through to the end.

Ironbite-but the main bad guys are just so....stupid.