Author Topic: Studies show advantage to gay parenting  (Read 2501 times)

Offline rosenewock21

• The Snuffleupagus of the Satanic Sesame Street
  • God
  • Holder of the sleepy time rag
Studies show advantage to gay parenting
« on: January 17, 2012, 04:51:02 am »
http://news.yahoo.com/why-gay-parents-may-best-parents-131902676.html

Research has shown that the kids of same-sex couples — both adopted and biological kids — fare no worse than the kids of straight couples on mental health, social functioning, school performance and a variety of other life-success measures.

Gay parents "tend to be more motivated, more committed than heterosexual parents on average, because they chose to be parents," said Abbie Goldberg, a psychologist at Clark University in Massachusetts who researches gay and lesbian parenting. Gays and lesbians rarely become parents by accident, compared with an almost 50 percent accidental pregnancy rate among heterosexuals, Goldberg said. "That translates to greater commitment on average and more involvement."

I predict RR will have a shitstorm in ...3...2...1.
Matthew 22:39 "And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." God's own "don't be a dick" rule.

Lithp and Vene really need to have some kind of confusing sexual encounter where Vene spends the entire session lovingly insulting Lithp's technique, then cums on his face, ruffles his hair, says, "You're all right, kid!", and then punches him in the nuts.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
Re: Studies show advantage to gay parenting
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 08:04:30 am »
But....but....babies need a mommy AND a daddy!  Never mind that widows and divorcees can still raise children, or that our lack of support for comprehensive sex ed results in an increase in single teen moms!  WE'RE RIGHT BECAUSE WE'RE HOLY!!! </fundy>

(Somewhat-related: my ex, Brian, had parents who had divorced and then both remarried other people.  We liked to joke that he was now a fundy's nightmare because he had two mommies AND two daddies.)
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Da Rat Bastid

• Pope
  • Takes what he can, while he can.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 08:10:10 am »
When encountering a fundy who is preaching on this issue, one could always point out that, according to their own Bible, Jesus had two daddies, and he apparently turned out all right.

(Jesus was also a bastard, but that's a different issue. :P )

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 09:42:03 am »
But....but....babies need a mommy AND a daddy!  Never mind that widows and divorcees can still raise children, or that our lack of support for comprehensive sex ed results in an increase in single teen moms!  WE'RE RIGHT BECAUSE WE'RE HOLY!!! </fundy>
No. Widows have a duty to get re-married. And we all know a good Christian couple would never divorce. ::)
-A Pen Name

QueenofHearts

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 12:13:03 pm »
When encountering a fundy who is preaching on this issue, one could always point out that, according to their own Bible, Jesus had two daddies, and he apparently turned out all right.

(Jesus was also a bastard, but that's a different issue. :P )

And to the polyamourious (sp??) he also had a mother.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 10:29:00 pm »
An abusive, unloving, dysfunctional, unstable, and completely horrible heterosexual couple obviously make WAY better parents than a happy, loving, openly accepting homosexual one or even a single (but gay) parent.

It are fact.

I'm sure of it.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 10:41:17 pm »
Anyone who has that reasoning in their mind needs to be shot.

Ironbite-into the sun.

Offline rosenewock21

• The Snuffleupagus of the Satanic Sesame Street
  • God
  • Holder of the sleepy time rag
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 10:48:51 pm »

(Somewhat-related: my ex, Brian, had parents who had divorced and then both remarried other people.  We liked to joke that he was now a fundy's nightmare because he had two mommies AND two daddies.)

I used to talk with someone from an AOL board who went through that "pray the gay away" therapy, married a lesbian from the program, had two kids, and then both of them threw their hands up and admitted they were great friends but definitely not lovers. I haven't talked to him since 2005 but you just reminded me of him. His children were both stable, both married, both straight and both loved their two mommies and two daddies.

On a related note, it certainly doesn't help that studies in the past compared homes with both mom and dad present to single parent homes. Of course you're going to end up with different results.
Matthew 22:39 "And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." God's own "don't be a dick" rule.

Lithp and Vene really need to have some kind of confusing sexual encounter where Vene spends the entire session lovingly insulting Lithp's technique, then cums on his face, ruffles his hair, says, "You're all right, kid!", and then punches him in the nuts.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 12:33:50 am »
Really, it makes sense that anyone, gay or straight, who choses to be a parent is probably going to be more willing to help their child succeed.  Still, can't wait to see the fundie heart attacks of this piece of news.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter