Author Topic: Yet another example of dress code gone too far  (Read 5210 times)

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
Re: Yet another example of dress code gone too far
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 10:40:06 pm »
Okay, suspending the student for backsassing the teacher over a t-shirt is one thing. I may not like it, but I can see why. But sending the kid to jail for wearing a shirt with a rifle on it? What? Does he have some sort of magic that will make the rifle magically appear in his hands? If not, rethink the decision, because sending someone to jail over a t-shirt makes about as much sense as paying $50 for one.
It seems he was arrested for the "dispute" with the teacher, not for wearing the shirt.

Also: anyone else find it funny how the kid insists that his Second Amendment rights are being taken away? Because, apparently, the right to bear arms includes the right to bear their likeness in clothing.

This so hard.  First of all, I think school dress codes should be respected.  If you can't have enough foresight to choose what you want to wear to school, than tough shit.  Secondly, I love how this is supposedly dress code run amok when that's not even what the kid was arrested for.

The day before, a dispute between Jared and a Logan Middle School teacher resulted in Jared being arrested and charged with obstruction and disturbing the education process, WOWK reported.

Something tells me that his kid wore this shirt just to cause trouble.  When told to take it off, I wouldn't be surprised if he caused a huge commotion, given that excerpt from the article.

I don't blame the school at all.  I may not know the whole story, but I wouldn't put it past both the kid and his father to be one of those "self-righteous conservative" types that think they can just do whatever and cry bloody murder if anybody tells them no.

Also, notice how the source is the "Christian Science Monitor."  Their headline already paints a picture, but I'm sure they're far from a "neutral" source.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 10:43:30 pm by B-Man »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 12:55:43 am »
Christian Science Monitor is actually a very neutral and well-respected newspaper. It was founded by a Christian Scientist, but only has one section actually devoted to religious topics. Besides that, it is essentially secular.

Also, my experiences with dress codes is that they are basically an excuse to stop "suspicious" students. They're applied pretty unequally; a friend of mine was once detained in a hallway for wearing a skirt one inch too short while a girl in a freaking miniskirt walked by.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 12:55:53 am »
I remember when clothing had neither images nor words.  That doesn't address this situation, but I thought I'd toss it out there just the same.

You also remember when clothing was made from animal skins.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 01:13:45 am »
Christian Science Monitor is actually a very neutral and well-respected newspaper. It was founded by a Christian Scientist, but only has one section actually devoted to religious topics. Besides that, it is essentially secular.

Also, my experiences with dress codes is that they are basically an excuse to stop "suspicious" students. They're applied pretty unequally; a friend of mine was once detained in a hallway for wearing a skirt one inch too short while a girl in a freaking miniskirt walked by.

On the first paragraph:  Fair enough.  I'm not that familiar with them.  Doesn't mean I have to agree with them on everything.

On the second paragraph:  Yeah, unequal enforcement on this kind of shit is not cool.  I'd expect the school authorities to show a bit of fucking integrity on stuff like codes.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 03:06:06 am »
School authorities...show integrity?  Fuck integrity, FOOTBALL!

Seriously, though, I doubt a high school quarterback would get stopped in a hallway in any school here, even if he were in full KKK dress with a backpack that had the South Park flag on it.  But, the moment a long-haired kid comes to school wearing shades because he's still suffering the lingering effects of pink eye, they practically call the damned National Guard.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 08:05:38 am »
I swear to Christ, Zero Tolerance should be called "Zero Intelligence".  >:(
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 03:53:16 pm »
The kid sounds fucking annoying.

Second amendment this and that, blah blah blah, I wish that entire section of the constitution just didn't exist.

All the same, the school overreacted a little.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer