Author Topic: Looks like 1979 all over again.  (Read 1135 times)

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
Looks like 1979 all over again.
« on: May 10, 2013, 03:24:01 pm »
40 Million illiterate jackasses might just fuck up the world even more. 

The so-called “youth bulge” has dramatically changed the demographic makeup of Pakistani society. A staggering 40 million Pakistanis will be eligible to vote for the first time in the upcoming elections.

Sixty five per cent of the country’s 180 million people are below 30 years of age. Many are illiterate and without jobs, and the majority of them now live in either urban or suburban rather than rural areas.

High unemployment, illiteracy and a lack of economic growth have combined to make Pakistani society — and especially youth — generally anti-secular and cynical about western constitutionalism.

A recent study by the British Council in Pakistan showed most people younger than 30 preferred the Islamic Sharia system of governance to the democratic system.

More than half of the 18-to-29-year-olds polled said democracy had not been good for them or the country. In fact, 70 per cent said they preferred military rule and only 13 per cent of respondents indicated they preferred civilian rule.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/05/09/f-pakistan-election-mustafa.html

Offline Yla

• The Beast
Re: Looks like 1979 all over again.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 04:08:00 pm »
If democracy turns out to be shit in practice, with a corrupt establishment diverting funds into their own pockets, who can blame them (much)?  If just the alternative wouldn't likely turn out worse..

Still, I wouldn't blame the '40 million illiterate jackasses'. I would blame the ones who are responsible for the 'illiterate' bit, the old elites and the religious elites.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 05:49:13 pm »
Yeah, Pakistan's at real risk of going from being the sort of nation that hides Bin Laden within its borders, exonerates vigilante violence against politicians for advocating repeal of blasphemy laws, and lets American Predator drones and the Taliban run amok, to becoming a fundamentalist, illiberal and chaotic society.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 03:36:19 am »
Yeah, Pakistan's at real risk of going from being the sort of nation that hides Bin Laden within its borders, exonerates vigilante violence against politicians for advocating repeal of blasphemy laws, and lets American Predator drones and the Taliban run amok, to becoming a fundamentalist, illiberal and chaotic society.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss!
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline worlder

• Bishop
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 03:42:29 am »
Bread and circuses, bread and circuses that they [the Pakistani government] fail to provide.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 09:46:01 am »