Author Topic: World's oldest profession "legal" in Canada  (Read 1691 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
World's oldest profession "legal" in Canada
« on: December 21, 2013, 02:45:42 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/supreme-court-strikes-down-canada-s-prostitution-laws-1.2471572

In a little under one year from now, if Parliament does nothing, the major laws criminalizing prostitution in Canada (prostitution is not itself illegal, but doing things like running a brothel so that clients can be screened, hiring bodyguards to keep you safe, or negotiating a price in public rather than a dark alley are) will be unenforceable.

The Supreme Court of Canada has struck down the country's anti-prostitution laws in a unanimous decision, and given Parliament one year to come up with new legislation — should it choose to do so.

In striking down laws prohibiting brothels, living on the avails of prostitution and communicating in public with clients, the top court ruled Friday that the laws were over-broad and "grossly disproportionate."

The really good part about this, to me, is that it forces the Conservatives' hand on a social issue, which they've largely danced around (free vote on same-sex marriage in 2006, quashing all attempts from their own backbenchers to open the abortion issue), which will hopefully drive enough of a rift between their social conservative base and the more moderate voters who fled to them in the last few elections to get them out of power in 2015. I really can't see them just letting these laws lapse.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/supreme-court-prostitution-ruling-forces-issue-on-harper-1.2472807

"We view prostitution as bad for society and we view its effects as particularly harmful for our communities and women, and particularly for vulnerable women, and we will continue to oppose prostitution in Canada," Harper said in March 2012 after the Ontario Court of Appeal set in motion Friday's decision by striking down parts of the federal law.

Justice Minister Peter MacKay issued a statement Friday saying the government would be "exploring all possible options to ensure the criminal law continues to address the significant harms that flow from prostitution."

So, yeah. The next year ought to be pretty interesting...
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: World's oldest profession "legal" in Canada
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 02:52:52 pm »
Yeah, the disconnect continues...."Keep gubmint regulations out of business!" "Regulate the fuck outta sex entrepreneurs and sex businesses".
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 05:48:58 pm »
Yeah, Harper, I am mainly opposed to one kind of whore - the attention variant. How is renaming Canada going, Mr. Harper?
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 07:13:52 pm »
....renaming the country?  What?

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 07:34:16 pm »
....renaming the country?  What?
There's a joke that he wants to rename the country to HarperLand or something like that.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 02:28:27 pm »
He actually tried to rename Canada to "The Harper Government" at one point.

Hence, attention whore.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 03:03:43 pm »
Er.. he never actually tried to rename the country. The most I've heard is that the Conservative party's logo was where the Government of Canada's logo should have been on some documents, that's about it.

Edit: Ye gods, you've somehow managed to put me in the position of defending him about something, how'd you manage that?

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 03:48:23 pm »
Er.. he never actually tried to rename the country. The most I've heard is that the Conservative party's logo was where the Government of Canada's logo should have been on some documents, that's about it.
This reminds me of the stink one of my teachers in high school raised when the district's school authority sent some memo with a CSU letterhead. (the teacher was a SPD member)

(I live in Bavaria, which is sometimes called the 'Last communist state in Europe' for the way the conservative CSU has a stranglehold on most public offices and the resulting blurriness of the line between political government and administration.)

With this post:
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.