Author Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic  (Read 564333 times)

Offline timber

• Neonate
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
« on: January 04, 2012, 04:27:18 am »
Bro-hoof.

Who else loves the show?

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 04:32:16 am »
I've been watching FiM since the series started. I love it to pieces.

Admittedly, I never liked it much as a kid. The original show was garbage meant only to shovel as many pallet-swapped ponies as possible on young girls. I never owned a single toy related to it.

But this new series? Man, it's everything a cartoon should be. It has adorable art, and actually has real characterization and stories to tell.

I seriously need to find some plushies to buy... especially Rainbow Dash. Who is obviously Best Pony. (Preemptive strikes FTW)

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 11:51:29 am »
I'm a Fluttershy guy, myself.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 07:48:00 pm by Keiro Dreamwalker »
-A Pen Name

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 01:46:22 pm »
It was only a matter of time before a pony thread was remade on the new forums. XD

Yeah, I love the show.  I'm also part of a group of fans in my state, but haven't really been able to attend any of the meetings because most of the group lives on the other side of the state, and I can't afford to travel.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 02:03:04 pm »
B-Man:  I MADE the original thread, thank you!

/worshipper of Luna
//Applejack is best pony
///Appledash is best ship
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 02:04:27 pm »
I will admit, I do not understand the Bronie thing in the slightest. it baffles me.
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline N. De Plume

• The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 02:11:54 pm »
I will admit, I do not understand the Bronie thing in the slightest. it baffles me.
Have you watched the show? If not, doing so may help grant a bit of understanding.
-A Pen Name

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 02:26:01 pm »
No, and to be honest, I can't imagine myself ever sitting down to watch a children's cartoon featuring My Little Ponies. It's just not going to ever happen.
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 03:08:36 pm »
No, and to be honest, I can't imagine myself ever sitting down to watch a children's cartoon featuring My Little Ponies. It's just not going to ever happen.

Well, it's quite hard to understand anything you've put absolutely no effort into understanding.

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 03:11:44 pm »

While it's kinda a spoiler of sorts, I have a scene for you to view and hopefully laugh at.  This is by far one of my favorite scenes. XD

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHy3ZhY9VKs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHy3ZhY9VKs</a>

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 04:23:53 pm »
I'm not judging it. Just saying I am baffled by it. I am not going to watch it because cutesy cartoon ponies gushing about friendship is so far down on my list of things I ever want to put in my brain that I think it ranks below Goatse just a tad. Just saying that it is incomprehensible to me how this whole thing came about. It's like thousands of straight young men all of a sudden decided to get really, really into Carebears. I just don't get it, is all.

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 04:30:16 pm »
I'm not judging it. Just saying I am baffled by it. I am not going to watch it because cutesy cartoon ponies gushing about friendship is so far down on my list of things I ever want to put in my brain that I think it ranks below Goatse just a tad. Just saying that it is incomprehensible to me how this whole thing came about. It's like thousands of straight young men all of a sudden decided to get really, really into Carebears. I just don't get it, is all.

I never said you were judging it, and I admit that the fanbase is quite unexpected.  I was just putting in a scene to maybe give you an idea of what the show can be like.

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 04:35:30 pm »
I would be more interested in hearing someone explain what the appeal is for them than attempt to discern it for myself. Quite frankly, I know that it will never appeal to me. I will not be able to comprehend the attraction from my perspective, so it would be nice to hear someone involved explain it from their perspective.

Offline N. De Plume

• The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 04:44:22 pm »
I just don't get it, is all.
Well, don't complain about not getting it if you haven't tried to get it. That's all we're saying.

I would be more interested in hearing someone explain what the appeal is for them than attempt to discern it for myself.
It is a well-written, very funny show, that just happens to have a lesson at the end of every episode (no gushing). That is the general appeal.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 07:38:41 pm by Keiro Dreamwalker »
-A Pen Name

Offline DarkfireTaimatsu

• Pope
  • Here be impies.
    • Taiblog
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 04:49:55 pm »
It's a great show because:
  • it doesn't bludgeon you over the head with its lessons, nor are the lessons the primary focus
  • it doesn't treat the target demographic like a bunch of idiots. It's a girls' show whose characters don't primarily focus on boys and fashion. (Rarity, the cast's executive-insisted fashionista, is much more a creator than a follower. She's an artist whose medium just happens to be clothing.)
  • the characters aren't one-dimensional
  • it has some really cute art and character designs
  • it's actually pretty funny
  • the voicework is excellent, especially the singing voices. And anything that regularly features the voice talents of Tara Strong can't be all bad.
  • Lauren Faust already knows her way around making good cartoons, being the wife of Craig McCracken (creator of The Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends)
  • the creators listen to and interact with their fans, and acknowledge the periphery demographic
  • it's not godawful like the '80s series. It's a reboot/relaunch/reinvention/remake done right.
A limerick:

There once was a unicorn who would shove
His rainbows around like a dove
"Always I'll be with you
And then make-believe with you
Harmony, Harmony, oh love"