Author Topic: Dungeons and Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited  (Read 6731 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Dungeons and Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited
« on: January 30, 2012, 04:53:18 pm »
As some of you are no doubt aware, I'm a big fan of D&D Online.  Seriously, its second only to Ultima Online in my eyes, and that's mostly because Ultima Online still has every other MMORPG out there beat six ways to Sunday in the sheer depth of what you, as a player, can do.

Sooooooooo...back do DDO.  Are any of you guys regular players?  What's your favorite class?  What do you like to do the most?  What would you like to see Turbine implement next?

For me, my favorite class has to be, hands-down, the Sorcerer.  I love playing mage characters in general, but the Sorcerers in DDO end up getting so fucking powerful.  I mean, I'll give ya an example...my Sorcerer on Sarlona, Artromeri, is an Air Savant, and he's gotten the 2nd enhancement in that line, he's level 13.  He can nearly one-shot mooks that are on the order of 4-5 levels higher than he is...fucking devils, with a single Lightning Bolt.  That shit, right there, is fuckin FUN.

As for what I'd like to see Turbine implement next...that's a tough one.  There's a lot in D&D that you can plug into a game and have it be awesome...so, I'll just wait and see what they got in store!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline NonProphet

• Apprentice
  • Bowties are cool.
Re: Dungeons and Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 06:09:43 pm »
Ultima Online? Really? I mean... wow. I didn't know anyone still knew about that. I played it aaaages ago, but dropped it after the last decent RP server died. Honestly, I felt a bit restricted after playing bigger games.

I played DDO for a short while, but I honestly just couldn't get into it. The f2p limits are acceptable, but it takes SO. LONG. to level, that it gets tedious for me after a while.
Please tell me that's changed; otherwise, I'll stick with Champions Online, City of Heroes, & LoTRO.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 06:18:43 pm »
Well, the leveling is slow.  That's one of the things I like about it, actually.  It doesn't practically shunt you straight to the end-game content like, say, Guild Wars.  You have to work for the power you get, and every step forward is one you earn through blood and sweat.

That said, it has gotten noticeably faster since its pre-F2P days.  Honestly, I never thought I'd get a character to level 10 before they were a year old or more...but, I've done that with two characters already (exceeded it with one) in just a few, short months.  And I haven't been playing very much in the past month and a half or so.  Seriously, I've played an average of about 2-3 hours a day recently.  Given how much I -used- to play...that ain't shit.

Oh, did I mention I got all that experience with only one XP potion per character?  XP potions I got as random loot, and not thru the in-game store?  Yeah...experience has gotten significantly easier to acquire.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 02:38:15 pm »
I've been playing this off-and-on for a few months now, I'm a Paladin. you're not kidding when you say the leveling is slow, I think I'm still around level 3.

Offline Qlockworkcanary

• Bishop
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 03:10:22 pm »
I just started playing and am addicted. I'm enjoying my Fighter so far. The slower xp is ok, though -reminds me of Everquest back when games didn't hold your hand all the way through to end game. I played UO for awhile, then switched to Everquest, ditched that after spending way too much time on my Necro, then tried WOW and got bored pretty fast.

I'm liking this so far, though. Trying to get my other D&D table-top players to join me.
"Out of the ash I rise with my red hair and eat men like air." - Sylvia Plath

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 05:16:53 pm »
Aye, here's my favorite classes, in terms of general roles:

Mage: Sorcerer
Melee: Monk
Healer: Favored Soul
Trap Monkey: Rogue (only because I can't yet buy the Artificer class.)

Favorite race?  Human.  I think I have only one non-human character per shard, surrounded by 2-3 human characters.  That extra feat and skill point come in damn handy.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 07:42:07 pm »
I played when it first came out and quit after a few months. I've been told several times that the game has improved drastically since then, but I just cannot bring myself to try it again. It was just AWFUL back then.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 09:37:53 pm »
I played when it first came out and quit after a few months. I've been told several times that the game has improved drastically since then, but I just cannot bring myself to try it again. It was just AWFUL back then.

Yeah, I'd heard it was indeed quite awful back then.

And believe me when I say it is nowhere near as awful now as it was then.  It has undergone some MAJOR renovations.  Even the spell system has been revamped to be more fair about spell costs, so the spell costs are now individual spells rather than determined by spell level.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 11:09:10 pm »
Yeah, DDO's a lot nicer to casters now.  Not only are the mana costs a lot more fair, but they've also implemented something called "Echoes of Power" which help make sure casters are never actually outta mana, they slowly regenerate up to 12 points...which is enough for some simple spells, so you aren't totally useless and/or relegated to clickies.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 07:31:32 am »

Yeah, I'd heard it was indeed quite awful back then.

And believe me when I say it is nowhere near as awful now as it was then.  It has undergone some MAJOR renovations.  Even the spell system has been revamped to be more fair about spell costs, so the spell costs are now individual spells rather than determined by spell level.

I've been told many times it has gotten better, and I believe that it has. But every time I have considered trying it again, the horrible taste it left me comes back, and I can't seem to get past it.

I didn't actually play a caster. I had 2 characters - a Paladin and a Rogue/Bard. (OK, both are casters, but neither are primarily casters.)

My problems were with the grouping system (took forever to find one and get everyone together), the limited number of dungeons ("OK, Rogue, there is a trap right around the corner. Elf, there is a hidden door here. Stand here until it appears for you."), and the horrible leveling system (I wasted at least 2 Action Points per level after level 2 because what I had was more useful than the new options).

I know all of these have been fixed. It is now possible to solo more than just the first few dungeons. There's a lot more dungeons, so players don't have to run the same ones over and over to level. They changed the way leveling is done. And those have been enough to get me to consider downloading it and trying it again - many times. But all I see in my mind is standing next to the bank, watching the chat window in case someone responded to my LFG (so I could actually DO something), and running through dungeons, not knowing the first idea what was going on because someone who had run it 10 times already was making comments like the one above.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 06:10:19 pm »
Well, I just spent all day levelling up my Paladin, and he's almost level 4 now, which I guess means he'll be able to start using simple spells soon, which'll be nice.

I'm still really new to the game, so I'm kinda just stumbling through everything, learning as I go along.