Author Topic: Emily's Abortion Video  (Read 6342 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Emily's Abortion Video
« on: May 09, 2014, 12:06:42 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxPUKV-WlKw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxPUKV-WlKw</a>

Whether you're pro-life or pro-choice, I'm sure we can all agree that this video is stupid and tactless.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
Re: Emily's Abortion Video
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 07:50:42 am »
Her purpose in posting it was to give women a better idea of what abortion is like because there's so much misinformation out there. I don't think her video does the greatest job of it, but I'm sick of people twisting her intentions. One headline read "Girl posts abortion video to show how cool it is." Um, no.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 12:59:32 pm »
I have to admit that I didn't watch all of it, but what I did watch didn't seem like it was in bad taste.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 01:11:06 pm »
Yeah, not seeing a problem here.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 01:11:23 pm »
I have to admit that I didn't watch all of it, but what I did watch didn't seem like it was in bad taste.

I watched the whole thing, and I am honestly wondering what part of any of this was in bad taste. It's a procedure women have all the time, and there was nothing particularly graphic in the video; there are videos of invasive surgeries on Youtube that are far more graphic and intended to be educational.

The only people that would find this offensive are the pro-life crowd. Their hateful outlook on women is not worth accommodating.

EDIT: Noticed you said "didn't seem like it was in bad taste", kinda took the oomph out of this post.

Whether you're pro-life or pro-choice, I'm sure we can all agree that this video is stupid and tactless.

What are you gonna do, cry about it?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 01:16:32 pm by Ironchew »
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 01:40:49 pm »
Thankfully, the comments section is disabled. I'd hate to think of what kinds of horrible things would have appeared there.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 02:04:56 pm »

I watched the whole thing, and I am honestly wondering what part of any of this was in bad taste. It's a procedure women have all the time, and there was nothing particularly graphic in the video; there are videos of invasive surgeries on Youtube that are far more graphic and intended to be educational.

The only people that would find this offensive are the pro-life crowd. Their hateful outlook on women is not worth accommodating.

EDIT: Noticed you said "didn't seem like it was in bad taste", kinda took the oomph out of this post.

What are you gonna do, cry about it?

Exhibit #123,412 on Why I Need a Like Button.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 02:06:19 pm »
Emily Letts is an extremely irresponsible person.  First off, she stated that she had been in a relationship with another guy and had engaged in unprotected sex with him.  Her excuse for not using contraception was that she was afraid of the side effects.  Fine, I get that.  The problem here is she is treating a very controversial subject matter like getting a tooth removed.

Emily needs to understand that this situation is not the same for everyone and that not everybody is going to be swayed by smiles and giggles.  I would rather have her talking about safe sex rather than telling everyone that abortion is no big deal.  These cases should be treated individually and not just blanketed.  I would rather have abortion as a final resort as you are dealing with a potential life.

I am pro-RESPONSIBLITY.

Life is not a game.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 02:10:11 pm »
Its not like getting a tooth removed...more like getting a tapeworm removed, if you want to be both technical and honest.  Also, Ultie, I love how you mention that she's the one being "irresponsible" with the video...what about the dude that knocked her up?  Guess he doesn't matter because having a penis automatically makes you not culpable to whatever acts you commit with it.  Wunderbaar.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 02:12:26 pm »
Its not like getting a tooth removed...more like getting a tapeworm removed, if you want to be both technical and honest.  Also, Ultie, I love how you mention that she's the one being "irresponsible" with the video...what about the dude that knocked her up?  Guess he doesn't matter because having a penis automatically makes you not culpable to whatever acts you commit with it.  Wunderbaar.
He was being irresponsible too.  They both were.  I just mentioned her specifically because she's the subject of the video.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 02:13:53 pm »
He was being irresponsible too.  They both were.  I just mentioned her specifically because she's the subject of the video.

Yes, but you're also completely ignoring the fact that it actually raises awareness of what an abortion is actually like.  But, let's not actually inform people...THAT MIGHT OFFEND THE PRO-LIFERS!  We can't have that.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 02:17:18 pm »

Yes, but you're also completely ignoring the fact that it actually raises awareness of what an abortion is actually like.  But, let's not actually inform people...THAT MIGHT OFFEND THE PRO-LIFERS!  We can't have that.
I have no problem with informing people.  The problem is that she does it in such a casual way that will give ammo to the Todd Akin types.  In my book, Lindsay Ellis did a much better job of this.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 02:43:15 pm »

She accidentally got pregnant with a fetus she didn't wanted, so she got an abortion. That's being responsible.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 02:48:31 pm »

She accidentally got pregnant with a fetus she didn't wanted, so she got an abortion. That's being responsible.
I wasn't talking about the abortion.  Pro-life and pro-choice aside, you should at least try and use protection, especially if you’re an abortion clinic counselor well aware of the consequences.  If not for preventing pregnancy then at least for the sake of defending yourself against STDs.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 06:56:23 pm »
Life is not a game.

I think you are rather mistaken about that, life is one big game of chance.