Author Topic: Russia won't let USA use the ISS after 2020  (Read 8424 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Russia won't let USA use the ISS after 2020
« on: May 13, 2014, 11:45:09 pm »
http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/13/5714462/russia-will-cut-off-us-access-to-the-international-space-station-over

Basically, due to USA placing sanctions and otherwise dissaproving of Russia's zany schemes at Ukraine and Crimea Russia has decided to retaliate by kicking USA out of the International space station...

Since USA no longer has any shuttles or rockets and has relied on Russia for transportation to the ISS Russia believes that they can just bully USA by not giving them a lift.

If no other good thing comes from this whole mess maybe USA will atleast rebuild their space program.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Russia won't let USA use the ISS after 2020
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 11:52:39 pm »
This is just petty.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 11:53:18 pm »
Elon Musk will solve that non-problem, given a little time and a level playing field.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 01:21:12 am »
Elon Musk will solve that non-problem, given a little time and a level playing field.
Hmm...

If Russia doesn't back down soon NASA might try to get USA and other countries to throw some money at SpaceX or at least make a contract with them for doing missions to ISS (which will make investors throw money at them.)

So this might end up well. (Having the alternative of a private corporation doing space mission is a good thing but I certainly do not trust a company so much that I wouldn't also want some goverments being involved in space missions. But more competition might keep things balanced.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 01:42:19 am »
The solution here is simple, blow up the ISS.
If we can't have it no one can.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 02:02:31 am »

Here I was thinking Musk won a U.S. Court of Federal Claims case prohibiting Soyuz launches in the U.S. He basically created the problem to benefit his own company at the expense of losing the only launch vehicle we have for manned spaceflight.

There's a huge conflict of interest here and Musk is right in the middle of it.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 04:41:04 am »
Hmm...

If Russia doesn't back down soon NASA might try to get USA and other countries to throw some money at SpaceX or at least make a contract with them for doing missions to ISS (which will make investors throw money at them.)

So this might end up well. (Having the alternative of a private corporation doing space mission is a good thing but I certainly do not trust a company so much that I wouldn't also want some goverments being involved in space missions. But more competition might keep things balanced.)
I can't help but think that if any private company were capable manned launches, they'd have done so already. Otherwise, why would NASA be paying the Russian government to send their astronauts to the ISS if an American corporation were able and willing? They already use SpaceX to get supplies into orbit, so there's no reason they wouldn't do the same for people if they had the option.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 06:01:54 am »

Here I was thinking Musk won a U.S. Court of Federal Claims case prohibiting Soyuz launches in the U.S. He basically created the problem to benefit his own company at the expense of losing the only launch vehicle we have for manned spaceflight.

There's a huge conflict of interest here and Musk is right in the middle of it.
He might have self interest in mind when stopping the purchase of the rocket engines but he does have a point. USA made some sanctions to pressure Russia and until those sanctions are removed NASA will have to wait.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 09:40:15 am »
Lockheed Martin and Boeing did a partial merger, forming United Launch Alliance. They use Russian engines and components, and still their launch vehicles are one time use, at four times the price of Falcon rockets from SpaceX, which are soon to be recoverable and reusable, as well. Musk sued because he was effectively ignored when bidding as a launch service provider for DOD projects. That went without any bidding competition to United Launch Alliance. It was shady, wasting of potential tax dollar savings, and also very much an ethics issue, since the Russian components used by United Launch Alliance are made by a company and it's CEO who are near the top of the current US/Russia sanctions list. Musk's suit was a public service, and now the bidding is actually open to anyone besides SpaceX as well, including ULA.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 05:01:39 pm »
You're a poopy head.

No, you're a poopy head.

No, you're a poopy head.

No I'm not.  You're a poopy head.

I'm telling mom.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 05:05:43 pm »
Children. Fighting. In the back seat of the car. This isn't the first time I've made that comparison (I think the first time was in a grade 10 history class), but it applies here well enough, I think. Actually I find much of international politics boils down to that.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 07:26:10 pm »
*sigh* There goes Glasnost! 20-something years of goodwill between us & the Ruskies shot to hell. Thanks a lot, Putin!

Well, this may be the thing we need to get NASA back in the "Blast Folks Into Space & Stuff" again! Hopefully, we would have voted out most or all of the Far-Right nuts out of Washington & be more willing to give NASA more money!

Heck, I've read that even many Republican voters are sick of the idiots passing for "Republican" these days. It would be great for Democrats to reach out to sane Republicans & Conservatives who aren't Far-Right crazy! We're in this together!

And who wants to sit on that smelly ol ISS, anyway? With our sanctions, it might hurt upkeep and god knows what would happen on that thing.

*sigh* I remember the days of Gorbechev, Peristroika, Glasnost, the fall of the USSR, the burgeoning partnership between us & Moscow. It wasn't a perfect friendship but it was something, considering our history. Granted, guys like Yeltsin were incompetent buffoons but at least Russians had more rights, LGBTs had more rights, Russia wasn't as invade-happy (though they still messed with Georgia & Chechnya on occasion) & things seemed fine between us.....

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 07:35:21 pm »
*sigh* There goes Glasnost! 20-something years of goodwill between us & the Ruskies shot to hell. Thanks a lot, Putin!

Well, this may be the thing we need to get NASA back in the "Blast Folks Into Space & Stuff" again! Hopefully, we would have voted out most or all of the Far-Right nuts out of Washington & be more willing to give NASA more money!

Heck, I've read that even many Republican voters are sick of the idiots passing for "Republican" these days. It would be great for Democrats to reach out to sane Republicans & Conservatives who aren't Far-Right crazy! We're in this together!

And who wants to sit on that smelly ol ISS, anyway? With our sanctions, it might hurt upkeep and god knows what would happen on that thing.

*sigh* I remember the days of Gorbechev, Peristroika, Glasnost, the fall of the USSR, the burgeoning partnership between us & Moscow. It wasn't a perfect friendship but it was something, considering our history. Granted, guys like Yeltsin were incompetent buffoons but at least Russians had more rights, LGBTs had more rights, Russia wasn't as invade-happy (though they still messed with Georgia & Chechnya on occasion) & things seemed fine between us.....
History will not judge Putin kindly.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 07:43:24 pm »

History will not judge Putin kindly.

And HOW!!!

And the ISS has a neat webcam now, too! *ARGH!*

I WANT MY GLASNOST BACK!!!!!

Where's Gorbechev & his birthmark when you need him most?! Russia's been taken over by The Riddler on a cheesy macho kick despite being "fun-sized"! He's Dobby's evil twin!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 07:48:01 pm by SpukiKitty »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 08:15:14 am »
So, going by Spuki's comparison, Putin is actually Kreacher?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.