Author Topic: Random Thoughts Thread  (Read 159520 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #555 on: April 06, 2016, 05:38:20 pm »
It just started ragging on about folder permissions out of the blue after months of working perfectly. I'll try your thing, though.

EDIT: Nope. Reinstalled it, moved Skype away from Program Files, still doesn't work. The net says I should remove Read Only from Appdata folders or some shit. I tried that, but when I checked, they'd been returned to Read Only and I had to do that shit again. FUCK.

DOUBLE EDIT: Turns out I just had the wrong password all along. WHY THE DICKSHITTING CHRIST DID IT SAY THERE WAS A FOLDER PERMISSION ERROR! GAAAH! SHIT GOT ME HEATED!

That's...actually a very good question.  Skype is more than a little derpy, sometimes, though.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #556 on: April 06, 2016, 06:31:05 pm »
In that moment before being asleep where your mind is racing and thoughts just flow from one thing to another: I had one of those last night where I realized why the Anti-GMO movement pisses me off. Now, the legal side of me realizes that we have free speech and you should be able to lobby society and speak your mind. I get that. But it's a bunch of rich, white, panicky people with money who spend that money to speak their mind and sway public opinion with GMO fears. That's their right.

But the part that bugs me is that there is no scientific basis for their claims. They're a bunch of nutjobs who can't realize there is this thing called science. It kind of proved the world was round and led to the creation of the Internet, which is revolutionizing societies, and it has something to say: "you're wrong." And instead of funding science to assuage their fears and benefit society with more research, they spend that money to fear monger among idiots who don't want to do basic research. And I hate that, because it's fucking up a lot of things. It's impoverishing  global farmers who rely on GMO plants. It's making Americans sick because you dolts care more about GMO harms than real harms like E. "to the motherfucking" Coli. It's a million dollar lobby, pushing fears onto affluent idiots who think they're too smart to fall for stupid bullshit, which is happening. It's like, why can't they just dump all this money into actual scientific and impartial scientists to make sure GMO foods are safe for them and just fuck off?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 06:32:57 pm by The_Queen »
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #557 on: April 06, 2016, 06:59:39 pm »
In that moment before being asleep where your mind is racing and thoughts just flow from one thing to another: I had one of those last night where I realized why the Anti-GMO movement pisses me off. Now, the legal side of me realizes that we have free speech and you should be able to lobby society and speak your mind. I get that. But it's a bunch of rich, white, panicky people with money who spend that money to speak their mind and sway public opinion with GMO fears. That's their right.

But the part that bugs me is that there is no scientific basis for their claims. They're a bunch of nutjobs who can't realize there is this thing called science. It kind of proved the world was round and led to the creation of the Internet, which is revolutionizing societies, and it has something to say: "you're wrong." And instead of funding science to assuage their fears and benefit society with more research, they spend that money to fear monger among idiots who don't want to do basic research. And I hate that, because it's fucking up a lot of things. It's impoverishing  global farmers who rely on GMO plants. It's making Americans sick because you dolts care more about GMO harms than real harms like E. "to the motherfucking" Coli. It's a million dollar lobby, pushing fears onto affluent idiots who think they're too smart to fall for stupid bullshit, which is happening. It's like, why can't they just dump all this money into actual scientific and impartial scientists to make sure GMO foods are safe for them and just fuck off?

There are a couple of important political points they bring to light; specifically the power imbalance corporate factory farms have over local farmers and the legal instrument of biopatents being used as intended to enrich a few corporations while needlessly making GMO food more expensive than it should be.

It's tragic how the movements interested in those problems are so inextricably linked with anti-GMO woo, though. Unless the rational activists both strongly condemn and extract themselves from such toxic antiscience, I can't find it in myself to support them.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #558 on: April 06, 2016, 07:40:46 pm »
The thing is like anything else, GMO can be used for the benefit of humankind or it can be used to make a person wealthy. For instance GMO crops can produce higher yields using less pesticides which is good. But then they can be made with stop 'codons' so poor farmers have to buy seed every year rather than occasionally.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #559 on: April 07, 2016, 01:37:54 am »
I found out that Nightwish is from Finland. Between them, Apocalyptica, and Korpiklaani, it seems like Finland does nothing but make awesome music.

I love Northern Europe.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #560 on: April 07, 2016, 06:15:43 pm »
You know, I've had a thought about why it seems the Republicans in the House and Senate just don't want anything to work.

They're all impotent.

Literally, they're impotent. They cannot get their dinguses to work so they, in spite, decided if they cannot get em up then they'll make everything else not work too!
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #561 on: April 08, 2016, 02:21:08 am »
I found out that Nightwish is from Finland. Between them, Apocalyptica, and Korpiklaani, it seems like Finland does nothing but make awesome music.

I love Northern Europe.

Nowhere is more Metal than Northern Europe.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #562 on: April 08, 2016, 02:24:28 am »

I love Northern Europe.

Nowhere is more Metal than Northern Europe.

Sonata Arctica, Children of Bodom, Stratovarius, Amorphis and Finntroll are also worth checking out.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #563 on: April 08, 2016, 10:03:46 am »
If you include other Scandinavian countries, then you get gems like Amon Amarth, who are Swedish.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Even Then

« Reply #564 on: April 08, 2016, 10:51:09 am »
As a Finn I'm obligated to say: fuck Sweden.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #565 on: April 08, 2016, 01:07:17 pm »
As a Finn I'm obligated to say: fuck Sweden.

I thought that was the job of the Danish.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Even Then

« Reply #566 on: April 08, 2016, 01:29:47 pm »
Us too.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #567 on: April 12, 2016, 11:56:49 am »
Does anyone else think there's a double standard when it comes to talking about racism in the Mormon religion?  Not that the racism in there history shouldn't be called out, are they really any worse then other right wing americans?  For example the Southern Baptist Convention was created more or less for the specific purpose of defending slavery and later segregation and took even longer then the Mormons did to try to clean up their act.  Seriously they didn't denounce slavery until 1995.  But I've seen lots of people call ie Harry Reid a racist cause he's Mormon but never anyone single out Southern baptists the same way.  And not just religious people, atheists too seem to be a lot more willing to attack Mormons over their racist history then mainstream Christians.

pyro

« Reply #568 on: April 12, 2016, 12:44:17 pm »
What are you talking about? Pretty much every time I hear the words "Southern Baptist," it's related to some sort of ultra-reactionary opinion they hold, including racism.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #569 on: April 12, 2016, 01:44:31 pm »
Mormonism is relatively safe to criticize, since they are so new their bullshit is still overtly cultish, and does not have the hoar-frosted, kingly mantle of olden tymes "respectability". Lots of conservitives come out right and say Mormons are cultists. I actually kinda like how fucking weird their dogma is. The storyline of the Book of Mormon is just like a bad Victorian era romantic adventure penny novel. Scientology's lore lacks the sweeping grandeur and heroic saga elements. The Bible is just so crudely cobbled together, relies entirely too much on gore, gets bogged down in details (begats - oh, please kill me rather than make me read through that again!) Really, it's over-all a painful, exhausting read.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 03:03:51 pm by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.