Author Topic: 2014 American Midterm Election Thread  (Read 28386 times)

Offline Hoplite

• The Beast
Re: 2014 American Midterm Election Thread
« Reply #135 on: November 13, 2014, 08:12:37 am »
Black Tuesday, the 1929 Stock Market Crash. It took a World War to get the US out of that Great Depression...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 08:14:25 am by Hoplite »
Good luck is nothing but being in shape to act with the universe when the universe says, "Now!" - John Gardner, The Sunlight Dialogues

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #136 on: November 13, 2014, 09:26:28 am »
Black Tuesday, the 1929 Stock Market Crash. It took a World War to get the US out of that Great Depression...

Of course I knew what you were talking about.  I was just being deliberately obtuse for comedy's sake.  I think Askold was too.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #137 on: November 13, 2014, 10:12:00 am »
You know, I've always had an idea brewing in the back of my head, kind of a game story sort-of based on real world events, where the Next Great War isn't, as most think, individual countries fighting amongst one another, but a massive, global civil war sparked by resentment against megacorporations essentially taking over the world, one dollar at a time.  The fact its at all possible is kinda scary...
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #138 on: November 13, 2014, 10:23:21 am »
You know, I've always had an idea brewing in the back of my head, kind of a game story sort-of based on real world events, where the Next Great War isn't, as most think, individual countries fighting amongst one another, but a massive, global civil war sparked by resentment against megacorporations essentially taking over the world, one dollar at a time.  The fact its at all possible is kinda scary...
How is it possible? Who would lead the lower classes? Who would supply them? And why would the lower classes of, say, India, join forces with the lower classes of Pakistan? The traditional Marxist model of people being divided by class more than by national identity is a nice dream, but it I fear it won't be actualized within my own lifetime.
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #139 on: November 13, 2014, 01:01:41 pm »
How is it possible? Who would lead the lower classes? Who would supply them? And why would the lower classes of, say, India, join forces with the lower classes of Pakistan? The traditional Marxist model of people being divided by class more than by national identity is a nice dream, but it I fear it won't be actualized within my own lifetime.

Their leader may come from either the proletariat or bourgeoisie, just look at Vladimir Lenin; he was what most would consider bourgeoisie, or at minimum petty bourgeoisie, and yet he lead a rather successful, if violent, revolution of the proletariat.  Black (and/or grey) market suppliers would play an important role in the global revolts, selling munitions to revolutionary guerrillas and supplying them with food and medicine they might not otherwise be able to acquire.  As for one country's proletariat joining another, that would cut fairly evenly along cultural lines: Pakis and Indians might not join one another, but Norwegian and Swedish guerrillas might join together.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #140 on: November 13, 2014, 01:15:12 pm »
Don't forget religion can be another dividing factor. Or possibly a unifying one, but I think it tends to be more divisive at least in developed countries.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #141 on: November 13, 2014, 01:51:44 pm »
Aye, though I tend to group religion in with cultural lines, since the two are almost always interconnected.

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #142 on: November 13, 2014, 03:07:26 pm »
I take it that none of you head about this 65 percent possibility that we'll be in another Republican Recession by the end of 2015? Worth a read anyhow. http://www.newsmax.com/Finance/Predictors-1929-Stock-Market-Crash-Recession-Economy/2014/11/11/id/606657/

Even if it does not happen, and there is a good chance it won't, Republicans are nothing but bad news. You never hear of Republicans recovering this country from depressions and recessions, because they are the cause of them.

NewsMax has been saying that "next year the REAL Great Recession will begin" for several years now. That "65% chance" is extracted directly out of some Gold Bug's ass. NewsMax deserves to be taken seriously as much as Glenn Beck.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #143 on: November 13, 2014, 04:13:50 pm »
I take it that none of you head about this 65 percent possibility that we'll be in another Republican Recession by the end of 2015? Worth a read anyhow. http://www.newsmax.com/Finance/Predictors-1929-Stock-Market-Crash-Recession-Economy/2014/11/11/id/606657/

Even if it does not happen, and there is a good chance it won't, Republicans are nothing but bad news. You never hear of Republicans recovering this country from depressions and recessions, because they are the cause of them.

NewsMax has been saying that "next year the REAL Great Recession will begin" for several years now. That "65% chance" is extracted directly out of some Gold Bug's ass. NewsMax deserves to be taken seriously as much as Glenn Beck.

I wonder if the GOP's recent win has made this closer to a reality though.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Hoplite

• The Beast
« Reply #144 on: November 13, 2014, 07:55:54 pm »

I wonder if the GOP's recent win has made this closer to a reality though.

Higher odds, I would agree. The GOP's economic policies which are anti-Keynesian and counter to Galbraith's economics are a necessary ingredient for causing economic chaos. If I had to give a name to the GOP's economic policy, it would be "instant gratification" or "Ayn Rand Fantasy", which provide instant gratification (lower taxes) at the cost of later economic meltdowns (usually within a few years).

GOPerdammerung is coming. And a Democrat will once again rise up and lead the masses out of it.
Good luck is nothing but being in shape to act with the universe when the universe says, "Now!" - John Gardner, The Sunlight Dialogues

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #145 on: November 14, 2014, 04:52:33 am »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/13/john-boehner-government-shutdown_n_6154770.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk3%26pLid%3D563419

So the GOP, back in power, are going to show the country how to run the country correctly . . . by threatening to shutdown the government yet again? 
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #146 on: November 14, 2014, 09:50:26 am »
...it will destroy the pillars of American Exceptionalism

You know, the sooner you guys get your heads out of your asses about somehow being special and better than the rest of the world the better off you will be because as it stands you are too busy proclaiming "this is AMERICA dammit!" to see what your flaws are, let alone try and fix them.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #147 on: November 14, 2014, 10:45:31 am »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/13/john-boehner-government-shutdown_n_6154770.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk3%26pLid%3D563419

So the GOP, back in power, are going to show the country how to run the country correctly . . . by threatening to shutdown the government yet again?

They don't need to shut down anything. All they need to do is attach batshit to funding bills and blame Obama for holding up the budget that Congress passes. It'll be "his fault" the next time the federal government shuts down.

It's from the same playbook, but Democrats will no longer be able to accuse Congress of being obstructionist.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #148 on: November 14, 2014, 04:06:50 pm »
The GOP knows that Obama won't be running in 2016 right?

Ironbite-right?

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #149 on: November 14, 2014, 04:19:24 pm »
The GOP also knows they have a good chance of winning in 2016 unless Democrats grow a collective backbone. I don't see that happening as long as Democrats continue to accept campaign funding from corporate sponsors with a contrary agenda to their progressive base.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.