Author Topic: SAN Check, everyone!  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
SAN Check, everyone!
« on: April 19, 2015, 09:58:58 pm »
While this could be just mere pareidolia on the part of the researcher in question, I'm not going to pass that opportunity up to make these jokes.

Sources

- Geological Society of America Press Release

http://www.geosociety.org/news/pr/11-65.htm

- A more skeptical article on Wired.

http://www.wired.com/2011/10/the-giant-prehistoric-squid-that-ate-common-sense/
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 10:05:59 pm by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: SAN Check, everyone!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 10:34:54 pm »
Cthlulu lives!

Great article.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 11:11:24 pm »
In short, no, No, NO, FUCK NO.

I've heard this before. McMenamin is a fringe lunatic who has been going on about this alleged "Triassic Kraken" for at least four years now despite everyone else in paleontology recognizing it as nonsense.

There actually was no fossil evidence of this monster, and McMenamin's reasoning is based entirely on the fact that rows of ichthyosaur vertebrae, as preserved, look like cephalopod arms with suction cups. He somehow thinks the most reasonable explanation for this is that a giant squid arranged them deliberately as a self-portrait.

Pharyngula had the following to say about it when it first came up back in 2011 (source):

Let me explain something here. This “Triassic kraken” has not been found; no fossils, no remains at all, no evidence of its existence. It is postulated to have been large enough to hunt and kill ichthyosaurs, which is remarkable—comparison to modern giant squid is invalid, since they are prey of whales, not predator. This fossil bed is being over-interpreted as a trace fossil, with the bones arranged by intent, by an intelligent cephalopod, which they have not seen. Furthermore, a line of discs is being seen as a picture of a cephalopod tentacle, classic pareidolia. This is trivial: dump a pile of Necco wafers on a table, and I’ll see a picture of squid suckers. This is a whole series of tenuous and unlikely speculations stacked together to make an ultimately ridiculous hypothesis.

After I read the abstract and realization settled in that this was nonsense, something else was nagging me. That name, McMenamin — I’d heard it somewhere before. A little search, and there it was: I’ve encountered him tangentially before. He’s the geologist who so effulgently endorsed the imaginative pattern-spotting of Stuart Pivar. He also claims “that mariners of ancient Carthage made it to America long before Eriksson and Columbus, some time around 350 BC.”
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 11:17:36 pm by Random Guy »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 09:32:59 am »
Yeah, I heard about this guy too.  He's a crank.