Author Topic: Russia using treason charges to silence political dissenters  (Read 1293 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Russia using treason charges to silence political dissenters
« on: April 04, 2016, 06:40:25 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/russia-treason-prosecutions-1.3515996

High treason, a charge used liberally by kings and queens in the Middle Ages, is being vigorously pursued in modern Russia to root out perceived internal enemies.

"It exploded in 2014," said Ivan Pavlov, a defence lawyer based in St. Petersburg, Russia.

At least 15 people were convicted of state treason that year, "triple the average number of previous years," Pavlov said.

"And we expect the numbers in 2015 to show the same."

Russia is fighting a secret war — within its own borders. Amid the already paranoid and militaristic mood that exists inside Russia today, security services are tracking and swooping down on those they consider traitors.

In November 2012, following anti-government protests, President Vladimir Putin strengthened and broadened the criminal code provisions governing treason and espionage — at the urging of the FSB, the country's security service. With the amendments, high treason includes any "financial, material, technical, advisory or any other support given to a foreign country or to international or foreign organizations engaged in activities against the security of the Russian Federation."

Damn. Just... damn.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Russia using treason charges to silence political dissenters
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 06:57:07 pm »
Why am I not surprised?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 07:26:36 pm »
Oh look, actual suppression of free speech.

Ironbite-someone needs to take Putin out of office but I'm pretty sure most of the higher political peeps in Russia are just like him or worse.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 08:07:01 pm »
I'm reminded of Shrub and the Republican party's rhetoric after 9/11; considering how vigorously anti-war groups were investigated, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if at least some of the supposed "terrorists" caught within the U.S. since then have been victims of this tactic.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 08:19:31 pm »
So-basically the old Soviet union but now with a capitalist zero safety net.