Author Topic: Gamers throw shitfit re: transgender character in Baldur's Gate  (Read 34713 times)

Even Then

Re: Gamers throw shitfit re: transgender character in Baldur's Gate
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 10:43:54 am »
...that's not really a gotcha, mate. Transgender people are not a hive mind and one transgender person does not represent all of transgenderdom. I know you struggle with the concept of not treating people who aren't you as this mysterious unfathomable Other, but come on, son.

And this is where I go back to ignoring UP again, because cleaning my penis with lemon juice is preferable to talking to him over an extended period of time.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 10:47:13 am by Even Then »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2016, 10:46:31 am »
...that's not really a gotcha, mate. Transgender people are not a hive mind and one transgender person does not represent all of transgenderdom. I know you struggle with the concept of not treating people who aren't you as this mysterious unfathomable Other, but come on, son.

True, but it does show that people aren't just complaining because they're transphobic.  Some probably are, but saying it's all of them is nothing more than a convenient excuse.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2016, 10:49:34 am »
(using Windows 10/MS Edge - not fully functional with forum posting macro buttons)

UP:
That's tragic and appaling, but what does it have to do with this?

Um, just fucking everything, UP. Certain societal attitudes kill, as in they kill real people and the hatred is so extreme it even attacks mere artistic representations of people. Try the Black litmus test, where you switch the person or archetype being derided for a Black person or Black people in general.

Do you see the problem, now?
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 10:52:34 am »
(using Windows 10/MS Edge - not fully functional with forum posting macro buttons)

UP:
That's tragic and appaling, but what does it have to do with this?

Um, just fucking everything, UP. Certain societal attitudes kill, as in they kill real people and the hatred is so extreme it even attacks mere artistic representations of people. Try the Black litmus test, where you switch the person or archetype being derided for a Black person or Black people in general.

Do you see the problem, now?

Why are you assuming this is based mainly on transphobia?

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2016, 10:53:55 am »
Because it is. And I think you actually realize that, but damned if you'll ever acknowledge it in a post.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2016, 10:59:42 am »
Because it is. And I think you actually realize that, but damned if you'll ever acknowledge it in a post.

"Because it is."

Wow, what a convincing argument!

Seriously, do you have any actual evidence?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2016, 11:15:46 am »
I love it.  An optional NPC that you don't have to even talk to in a game that you don't have to play is ruining games forever.

Ironbite-such is the thin skin of that which shall not be mentioned outside flame and burn.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2016, 11:16:08 am »
A single minor NPC spoils a game so badly that people vote the whole game down on review sites apparently without even playing it. Gee, I wonder whan separates that particular character from other minor flavour NPCs. Maybe there is something that wakes up a lot of negative emotions on people and possibly is also reflected in real life events. Perhaps someone even posts a video that uses a bigoted term about the character in an article discussing the game. That kind of thing might be the most probable explanation for seemingly disproportionate hatred.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2016, 11:19:40 am »

"Because it is."

Maybe the fact that people are flipping the fuck out over there even being a trans person in the game? That's a sign.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2016, 11:22:17 am »
A single minor NPC spoils a game so badly that people vote the whole game down on review sites apparently without even playing it. Gee, I wonder whan separates that particular character from other minor flavour NPCs. Maybe there is something that wakes up a lot of negative emotions on people and possibly is also reflected in real life events. Perhaps someone even posts a video that uses a bigoted term about the character in an article discussing the game. That kind of thing might be the most probable explanation for seemingly disproportionate hatred.

"Because it is."

Maybe the fact that people are flipping the fuck out over there even being a trans person in the game? That's a sign.

Here's my question: how much of the anger is because of Beamdog censoring their critics?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/228280/discussions/0/371918937275136476/

I don't doubt that there are some transphobes among the complainers, but saying it's all or even most of them is just an excuse.

Even Then

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2016, 11:28:36 am »
None of the comments quoted in the article mentioned anything about people being """""censored""""" (and no, a privately-owned site refusing to give a platform, controversial though it may be, is not "censorship"). The transphobia came first, then this new shit.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 11:31:11 am by Even Then »

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2016, 11:31:40 am »
So I heard they put a gamergate joke into the game for some reason, and memes being written into shit is a serious trigger of mine. Can't stand that shit, same reason I can't stand the writing of the Borderlands games.

Also, are the Balders Gate games worth a shot still? I have all the original versions on GOG but not the updated versions? are the new ones worth the cash?

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2016, 11:32:02 am »
Oh yeah, here it is in a Nut's shell:

Exile  Apr 4 @ 6:29am   
Originally posted by Dee:
If you're only here to hop on the GamerGate/KotakuInAction bandwagon, or to spout abuses at the LGBTQ community or one of our writers, you're not welcome here; don't be surprised if your posting privileges get revoked.

Yeah you'd like it to be about that but it's not. Your company went out of its way to upset people and now some people are upset and using a publicly visible forum to express it. You can pretend its some mission or w/e idc but it's not. You might see what is happening here but I really see what is happening here and you guys are making rookie mistakes in dealing with this.

Even Then

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2016, 11:35:13 am »
"The mean game made a joke that doesn't attack my movement in the slightest!"
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 11:38:09 am by Even Then »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2016, 11:37:17 am »
"Oh noes, how dare they include a trap transsexual in an RPG?  What's next, having to accept that filthy homos are real and deserving of respect?  Not in my games, you filthy queers SJWs!"

- The Knob Goblin Horde
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.