Author Topic: FBI encouraged domestic terrorist  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
FBI encouraged domestic terrorist
« on: August 10, 2016, 03:30:41 am »
https://theintercept.com/2016/08/09/fbi-agent-goaded-garland-shooter-to-tear-up-texas-raising-new-alarms-about-bureaus-methods/

According to an affidavit filed in a related case last week, Elton Simpson — one of two men who donned body armor and fired assault weapons before being shot dead by a Garland police officer — had been corresponding with an undercover FBI agent. And in a text message roughly a week before the attack, as they discussed the cartoon contest, the agent had exhorted Simpson to “Tear up Texas.”

The FBI, in the affidavit, explained the comment as “an effort to continue their dialogue” with the suspect.

...FBI encouraging extremists to commit acts of terrorism and murder in USA: OK [ ] Not OK [ ]

And it's not like this is the first time they do something like this:
And in recent years a number of plots have materialized involving seemingly unstable individuals interacting with government informants. This January, a 25-year-old man with a history of psychiatric problems was arrested after attempting to attack an upstate New York bar with a machete — with the assistance of a government informant who helped provide him with the machete. And in October 2014, a former army recruit was introduced to FBI informants after being released from of a mental institution. Months later, he was arrested for plotting to attack a military facility — with a fake bomb provided by the informants.

Giving a fake bomb to a dude who wants to make a terrorist attack is actually preferable to taking the chance that someone else gives him a real bomb (as long as you are ready to arrest them when they try to use the bomb) but why the hell did they give a machete to a guy? Stick with the "Pinball machine parts and colourful LEDs in a package that has 'Bomb' written on it" trick, that is much safer for the public.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

pyro

Re: FBI encouraged domestic terrorist
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 09:55:31 am »
You're assuming they actually want to prevent public mass murders.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 06:56:55 pm »
I could see the CIA or NSA doing this but the FBI?

Ironbite-how far does that rot go I wonder.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 12:15:53 am »
How do you increase public confidence that you're arresting enough terrorists. Create terrorists, then arrest terrorists. Bingo.

Firefighters following this philosophy are commonly known as "pyromaniacs".

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 01:01:17 am »
Some people were complaining that this is entrapment and illegal. Not sure about that but it is playing with fire since getting a lethal weapon isn't exactly difficult. The attack in Nice was an example of how much damage you can do with a car, the attack in Japan showed the kind of death toll that you can do with a knife and getting a firearm in USA is easier than in most countries. (And despite my stance on gun control I want to point out that having actual working firearms be outside of control, like shotguns for example, is stupid. A gun is a gun, it doesn't help that buying a pistol requires a background check if the criminal can easily get a shotgun. Or buy any gun from a civilian without any type of restrictions...)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 01:59:44 am »
Gun control is a separate but tangentially related issue. The core issue here is radicalising people and inspiring them to commit acts of mass violence.

Seriously FBI, aren't there enough nutters in the world with a bug up their arse and an axe to grind who feel an act of mass murder is all they need to get the attention they feel they deserve?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 02:05:41 am »
Gun control is related in that it determines how easily you can legally obtain guns (which matters to unconnected radicalized wannabe-terrorist. The organized crime and bigger terrorist organizations know where to get guns illegally but for the random lone maniac not being able to simply buy a gun is a problem.) and although there are other methods that are just as lethal we can't ignore this issue either.

But yeah, the big issue here is that FBI is egging on the very people they assume to be radicalized enough to become terrorists and they can't be 100% certain that they can catch them before they do the attack.