Author Topic: The whole muslim ban debacle  (Read 5893 times)

pyro

Re: The whole muslim ban debacle
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 04:58:33 pm »
There is very little chance of Trump lasting that long. The Democrats will have plenty of material to impeach him and as soon as the Republicans agree that Trump does more harm than good for them they will drop their support. (Honestly, I am kinda confused that they haven't done so already.)

1. If Donald Trump is impeached, there will be additional riots.

2. If Donald Trump is impeached, it will damage the Republican party's reputation. Possibly permanently.

3. If Donald Trump is impeached, the media spectacle will be over.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 05:17:48 pm »
There is very little chance of Trump lasting that long. The Democrats will have plenty of material to impeach him and as soon as the Republicans agree that Trump does more harm than good for them they will drop their support. (Honestly, I am kinda confused that they haven't done so already.)

1. If Donald Trump is impeached, there will be additional riots.

2. If Donald Trump is impeached, it will damage the Republican party's reputation. Possibly permanently.

3. If Donald Trump is impeached, the media spectacle will be over.

1. Riots don't bug the rich people who own the GOP, they have private security. As for middle and working class people-all the better for the GOP to promise more "law and order" policies to them.
2. The damage to the GOP's long term reputation is a given following Trump's election.
3. I suspect Pence is even more radical than Trump, given that he actually believes in something other than himself and that something is radical Quiverfull Christianity That should give the media plenty to play with.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 06:01:15 pm »
I think we found Himmler - Bannon is quickly proving to be just as much a control freak, and bequeathed with just as much a master race fetish.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 06:51:30 pm »
Lookie what I found.

(click to show/hide)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 07:02:40 pm »
And Paul Ryan:

https://twitter.com/SpeakerRyan/status/759845524132524032?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

A religious test for entering our country is not reflective of America's fundamental values. I reject it.

July 31, 2016.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2017, 07:20:25 pm »
Ryan is a fucking invertebrate.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2017, 07:54:16 pm »
I can't believe there's still four years left of this. This whole week has felt like four years of bullshit. It at least takes some presidents a couple of Years to piss a large portion of the population off and cause mass protests. Trumps done it in seven days.

Then consider this the line in the sand.

INDIAN WELLS, Calif. — Leaders of the influential Koch network on Sunday expressed opposition to President Trump's ban on refugees and immigrants from Muslim-majority countries, saying the executive order is not in keeping with their aims to build a free and open society.

“We believe it is possible to keep Americans safe without excluding people who wish to come here to contribute and pursue a better life for their families,” said Brian Hooks, the president of the Charles Koch Foundation, who is co-chairing a weekend conference of donors who help finance the Koch operation.

“The travel ban is the wrong approach and will likely be counterproductive,” he added. “Our country has benefited tremendously from a history of welcoming people from all cultures and backgrounds. This is a hallmark of free and open societies.”

The statement represents the network's first public critique of Trump since his election victory.

The Koches will be giving the marching orders soon.

Ironbite-the Orange Piss Pot's about to be emptied.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2017, 08:05:21 pm »
I dunno, the Koch's might be against his Muslim ban in principle but are they going to lose money?

They're more likely pissed off about potential tariffs!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2017, 08:06:31 pm »
How long I wonder until the Koch Wing and the Trump Wing come into open conflict I wonder. It would be terrifying if Der Fuhrer just ordered people to go kill the Kochs off...

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2017, 08:35:38 pm »
How long I wonder until the Koch Wing and the Trump Wing come into open conflict I wonder. It would be terrifying if Der Fuhrer just ordered people to go kill the Kochs off...
I think the Koch's can probably afford better thugs and hitmen.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2017, 11:42:02 pm »
Donald trumps pretty rich, but the kochs are extremely rich.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2017, 07:51:04 am »
Of course, if push comes to shove, D-Tizzle is in control of the actual, real military, not a bunch of militaristic LARPers.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2017, 08:35:12 am »
As said by Rudy Giuliani:

See, not a "Muslim ban" even though it was specifically designed to be one...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2017, 09:20:40 pm »
Further developments with Trump's seven-country ban:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-immigration-executive-order-visas-muslim-countries-1.3966482

US District Judge James Robart (a GW Bush appointee) has issued a nationwide hold against enforcing the ban while challenges against it proceed through the courts.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pre-clearance-trump-ban-1.3965666

The order, should it continue to be enforced, whether by ultimately being found to be legal and constitutional or should the Trump administration direct Customs and Border Control officers to ignore judicial stays, may impact pre-clearance arrangements the US has with various countries or jurisdictions: Canada, Ireland, Aruba, the Bahamas, Bermuda, and the United Arab Emirates.

In particular, in Canada, US customs agents carry out customs checks at certain airports and other points of departure (specifically Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver airports, along with the Port of Vancouver, the Pacific Central train station in Vancouver, and certain ferries between BC and Washington state; a bill passed by the US Congress in December is set to extend the arrangement to Montreal's Central Station, the Toronto Island airport, and the Quebec City airport), which allow people traveling from Canada to land directly at smaller US airports that do not have their own customs facilities. Because the checks are being made on Canadian soil, not extraterritorial US soil, they must be done in compliance with Canadian law and the Constitution of Canada.

If Trump's executive order were enforced at pre-clearance facilities in Canada, any Canadian resident thus discriminated against could sue in a Canadian court or human rights tribunal, and if the ban were found to be inconsistent with Canadian law, US officials would still be required to enforce the ban, per US law, while Canadian police would be required to prevent them from enforcing the ban, per Canadian law.

The Irish government has also expressed concerns about the ban, and the Dutch government, which had been seeking a pre-clearance arrangement for Schiphol international airport, near Amsterdam, cancelled talks to reach such an agreement.

tl;dr: A judge has ordered Trump's travel ban to be temporarily unenforceable; it remains to be seen if the administration will respect the order. Meanwhile, the ban could play havoc with pre-clearance arrangements the US has with certain other countries, in particular with Canada.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2017, 03:31:13 pm »
DoJ says they'll try and get the judge's stay stayed so they can keep on being idiots.

Ironbite-meanwhile there's a nice window where this EO is not being enforced as DHS has been ordered to STOP ENFORCING THIS YOU FUCKING IDIOTS!