Community > Politics and Government

Saudi Arabia elected to UN Women's right commission

(1/2) > >>

SCarpelan:
I'm speechless. I'm really getting sick of Saudi Arabia being treated with silk gloves.

--- Quote ---The vote was greeted warmly by Helen Clark, former administrator of the UN Development Programme and prime minister of New Zealand. Asked about the election of the Saudis to the commission on Twitter, Ms Clark said: “It's important to support those in the country who are working for change for women. Things are changing, but slowly.”
--- End quote ---

I'm all for rewarding steps to a good direction but going this far more of an insult to the Saudi women and others who work to improve their life.

Edited: A brain fade. I somehow read at first that they are elected to lead the commission and posted in an burst of anger. It's not as egregious and I understand the point better but this still does undermine UN's credibility and they can't really afford that.

dpareja:
But the Saudis are the good Muslims because they sell the West oil, unlike the other Wahhabi Muslims who tried to declare a caliphate and are fighting Bashar al-Assad.

SCarpelan:
To be honest, it's not only about the oil. They are also reliable clients for the military industry in many countries, help America bomb some of the bad Muslims and are a strategical ally against naughtier* Iran.

*less cooperative with the Western countries.

Edit: I deliberately avoided blaming only the West in the OP. UN is not only the West, all the member states supporting this are equally responsible. Just pointing that out.

TheContrarian:
It's only natural.  Islam is the most feminist religion after all...

SCarpelan:
I think I have said this before: when you attempt to build a strawman it needs to have some connection to what the people you are trolling really think. Otherwise you are not going to get anyone riled up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version