Author Topic: Saudi Arabia elected to UN Women's right commission  (Read 1521 times)

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
Saudi Arabia elected to UN Women's right commission
« on: April 24, 2017, 07:32:38 pm »
I'm speechless. I'm really getting sick of Saudi Arabia being treated with silk gloves.

The vote was greeted warmly by Helen Clark, former administrator of the UN Development Programme and prime minister of New Zealand. Asked about the election of the Saudis to the commission on Twitter, Ms Clark said: “It's important to support those in the country who are working for change for women. Things are changing, but slowly.”

I'm all for rewarding steps to a good direction but going this far more of an insult to the Saudi women and others who work to improve their life.

Edited: A brain fade. I somehow read at first that they are elected to lead the commission and posted in an burst of anger. It's not as egregious and I understand the point better but this still does undermine UN's credibility and they can't really afford that.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 07:38:14 pm by SCarpelan »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Saudi Arabia elected to UN Women's right commission
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 07:41:48 pm »
But the Saudis are the good Muslims because they sell the West oil, unlike the other Wahhabi Muslims who tried to declare a caliphate and are fighting Bashar al-Assad.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 07:59:09 pm »
To be honest, it's not only about the oil. They are also reliable clients for the military industry in many countries, help America bomb some of the bad Muslims and are a strategical ally against naughtier* Iran.

*less cooperative with the Western countries.

Edit: I deliberately avoided blaming only the West in the OP. UN is not only the West, all the member states supporting this are equally responsible. Just pointing that out.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 08:01:36 pm by SCarpelan »

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 03:31:55 pm »
It's only natural.  Islam is the most feminist religion after all...

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 08:02:30 pm »
I think I have said this before: when you attempt to build a strawman it needs to have some connection to what the people you are trolling really think. Otherwise you are not going to get anyone riled up.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 03:13:27 pm »
I think I have said this before: when you attempt to build a strawman it needs to have some connection to what the people you are trolling really think. Otherwise you are not going to get anyone riled up.

tbh at this point "what you lot think" would be pretty much an instinctive "nuh uh" to anything I say.  I reckon at this point I could criticise the actions of Einsatzgruppen and you lot would instinctively start a bunch of whataboutery drawing moral equivalence between Israel's settlement of the west bank and the attempted extermination of all of europe's Jews.

And then in the next breath Ravynous "I'm a communist, guv" Hunter would turn round and accuse me of antisemitism again.

Doublethink is a key policy platform for progressivism after all :3

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 04:30:13 pm »
Now you are at least trying. I guess that's worth something.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 08:13:44 pm »
tbh at this point "what you lot think" would be pretty much an instinctive "nuh uh" to anything I say.  I reckon at this point I could criticise the actions of Einsatzgruppen and you lot would instinctively start a bunch of whataboutery drawing moral equivalence between Israel's settlement of the west bank and the attempted extermination of all of europe's Jews.

And then in the next breath Ravynous "I'm a communist, guv" Hunter would turn round and accuse me of antisemitism again.

I actually remember agreeing with you on some point or issue fairly recently. I can't remember what it was, but I think it had to do with all of the campus protests incidents. Needless to say, though, people of different ideologies are of course going to disagree on a lot, and to be honest, there are things to criticize about the settlement of the West Bank (though that's not relevant to this thread in the slightest). I don't think you're antisemitic, though. Just crass.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 07:49:45 pm »

You are really desperate for some validation aren't you?

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 05:23:03 am »
We might not be the strawman Mr. Contrarian is looking for, but I've seen articles on shitty clickbait rags like HuffPo (I think it was HuffPo at least) that actually did try to argue that Islam was Feminist. But it's HuffPo, so it doesn't count as actual thinking or argumentation.