Community > Society and History

It's my religious freedom!

(1/2) > >>

dpareja:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/female-genital-mutilation-religious-right-us-first-case-fgm-detriot-michigan-a7748736.html

Two Detroit doctors, along with the wife of one of the doctors, have been charged with female genital mutilation.

Their defence?

Religious freedom.

Art Vandelay:
Honestly, "religious freedom" should not be valid legal defence of any kind. "My imaginary friend said so" should not give people a pass to do anything that is otherwise illegal.

dpareja:

--- Quote from: Art Vandelay on May 23, 2017, 02:00:35 am ---Honestly, "religious freedom" should not be valid legal defence of any kind. "My imaginary friend said so" should not give people a pass to do anything that is otherwise illegal.

--- End quote ---

If the defence succeeds, I can only imagine just how many people will claim to belong to a religion requiring them to smoke marijuana...

But seriously, this is a case of "Your freedom ends where those girls' private parts begin."

ironbite:
I really hope this defense fails.  I really do.

Ironbite-cause this needs to end.

dpareja:
I hope it fails, and then I hope a family whose kid contracted an STI from a mohel who sucked the blood off the tip of said infant son's penis after the ritual circumcision sues said mohel for, effectively, aggravated sexual assault, if not rape.

(Up here, for instance, failing to disclose that you have an STI before having sex makes the sex nonconsensual since the partner was not fully aware of the potential consequences of the act.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version