Community > Science and Technology

Europe was the birthplace of mankind, not Africa, scientists find

(1/10) > >>

Radiation:
This is a new evolutionary theory that may change the Out of Africa Theory. Scientists have found a new fossil of what they think is a newly discovered hominin. They found these fossils in Greece and Bulgaria.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/05/22/europe-birthplace-mankind-not-africa-scientists-find/

--- Quote ---Currently, most experts believe that our human lineage split from apes around seven million years ago in central Africa, where hominids remained for the next five million years before venturing further afield.

But two fossils of an ape-like creature which had human-like teeth have been found in Bulgaria and Greece, dating to 7.2 million years ago.

The discovery of the creature, named Graecopithecus freybergi, and nicknameded ‘El Graeco' by scientists, proves our ancestors were already starting to evolve in Europe 200,000 years before the earliest African hominid.

An international team of researchers say the findings entirely change the beginning of human history and place the last common ancestor of both chimpanzees and humans - the so-called Missing Link - in the Mediterranean region.
"To some extent this is a newly discovered missing link"Professor Nikolai Spassov, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
--- End quote ---

I think this is fascinating because this may be the oldest fossil of a hominin ever found and the fact that it was found in Europe is making scientists question the current theory that we emerged from Africa. I just wonder what other developments might actually come from this.

The_Queen:

--- Quote from: Radiation on May 28, 2017, 10:29:36 pm ---This is a new evolutionary theory that may change the Out of Africa Theory. Scientists have found a new fossil of what they think is a newly discovered hominin. They found these fossils in Greece and Bulgaria.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/05/22/europe-birthplace-mankind-not-africa-scientists-find/

--- Quote ---Currently, most experts believe that our human lineage split from apes around seven million years ago in central Africa, where hominids remained for the next five million years before venturing further afield.

But two fossils of an ape-like creature which had human-like teeth have been found in Bulgaria and Greece, dating to 7.2 million years ago.

The discovery of the creature, named Graecopithecus freybergi, and nicknameded ‘El Graeco' by scientists, proves our ancestors were already starting to evolve in Europe 200,000 years before the earliest African hominid.

An international team of researchers say the findings entirely change the beginning of human history and place the last common ancestor of both chimpanzees and humans - the so-called Missing Link - in the Mediterranean region.
"To some extent this is a newly discovered missing link"Professor Nikolai Spassov, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
--- End quote ---

I think this is fascinating because this may be the oldest fossil of a hominin ever found and the fact that it was found in Europe is making scientists question the current theory that we emerged from Africa. I just wonder what other developments might actually come from this.

--- End quote ---

Question: Do you use the echos symbol around the names and pronouns of Jewish people? Because I saw this article and similarly titled threads on several anti-Semitic sites, and I'm curious.

niam2023:
Agreeing with Queen on this one - it seems this has been particularly circulated around on anti-semitic and far right sites.

Even if these fossils were truly found there, neither the Greeks nor the Bulgarians are exactly what the far right would find to be their "Aryan Ancestors". Lest we forget, Bulgarians are a Slavic Racial Group (Nazis like the ones on those anti-semitic sites HATE the Slavs), and the Greeks became horny bisexuals and a divided people where no one city state for most of their history dominated the country.

Askold:
I'm not sure if those new fossils actually change much.

I mean, the "monkey-things to humans" evolution wasn't a single step transformation with just one "missing link" because evolution is more gradual. So they found fossils which presumably belong to our ancestors from Europe, but since the fossils of another ancestor to us in Africa are younger that means that those creatures or their descendants then moved to African continent and evolution continued there and eventually lead to humans or am I completely misunderstanding this?

Svata:
No, you're right.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version