Community > Society and History

The Myth of "Alt-Left"

(1/2) > >>

Askold:
https://qz.com/1083444/analysis-of-500-million-reddit-comments-shows-how-the-alt-right-made-the-alt-left-a-thing/?utm_source=qzfb

Interesting article. The main point is that the so called "Alt-Left" was invented by the Alt-Right to be a counterpart on other other side of the political spectrum that they can point to when their own crimes and misdemeanors are mentioned.

But other than in the dreams of Alt-Right this leftist bogeyman does not seem to exist. Stories about crimes, whether real or alternative-facts, are blamed on Alt-Left (and later ANTIFA) and massive conspiracy theories about radical leftists who are supposedly trying to destroy Christianity are spread on the net.

Although I have noticed that ANTIFA (which really is no more of an organization than Anonymous) is the current right-wing horror story at least on the parts of the web that I go into so the article might be a bit old news. Or maybe I'm just out of the loop.

Art Vandelay:
It kind of makes you sad for humanity when "but those guys are worse" is an argument that actually works on most people. Especially so when "those guys" don't even exist in the first place.

ironbite:
Its easy to attack a group that doesn't exist.  Harder is defending yourself against people who do exist of course.

Tolpuddle Martyr:
Eh, it's the new 'SJW.' Another day another snarl word.

TheContrarian:
It's not "alt-" anything if the mainstream end of that thing accepts and defends everything the supposed "alt-" end does.

When the only criticism the left can come up with for Antifa's acts of violence amounts to a pitiful No-True-Scotsman, it's a bad sign of the shite you've taken to heart.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version