Author Topic: Godspouses  (Read 14642 times)

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
Re: Godspouses
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 03:26:23 pm »
It is not that strange for me to see religions that have it's adepts marry a diety or more. I don't know much about Mesopotamia or Ancient Egypt or any other ancient culture but I do know that in Haitian Vodou (and Santeria too, I think) that a person may marry a Lwa regardless of if it is that person's met tet or not. Usually it is the spirit that calls that person to get married to them and it is usually confirmed by divination, after that there is a ceremony called the "marayaj" that is performed and the person is thus married to that particular Lwa. I think some might even be homosexual as I know that Erzulie Dantor is the patron Lwa of lesbians.
Also, there is usually one night out of the week that is set aside for that person to "sleep" with them in a separate room dedicated to that Lwa. It is believed that the Lwa speaks with that person through dreams; often giving advice and other things.

Though it should be noted that not everyone that practices Vodou gets married to a Lwa.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 06:00:09 pm »
Just sign me up for Bahamut himself.  Now that's a deity I'd 'worship'  ;D

*drool*

That's what the last picture said. That the person is dating them.

Ah, I somehow missed that :x

It is not that strange for me to see religions that have it's adepts marry a diety or more. I don't know much about Mesopotamia or Ancient Egypt or any other ancient culture but I do know that in Haitian Vodou (and Santeria too, I think) that a person may marry a Lwa regardless of if it is that person's met tet or not. Usually it is the spirit that calls that person to get married to them and it is usually confirmed by divination, after that there is a ceremony called the "marayaj" that is performed and the person is thus married to that particular Lwa. I think some might even be homosexual as I know that Erzulie Dantor is the patron Lwa of lesbians.
Also, there is usually one night out of the week that is set aside for that person to "sleep" with them in a separate room dedicated to that Lwa. It is believed that the Lwa speaks with that person through dreams; often giving advice and other things.

Though it should be noted that not everyone that practices Vodou gets married to a Lwa.

Ah, I see.  Thank you for the information!

However, I'm pretty sure that Asatru, Norse/Anglo-Saxon Paganism, and most forms of Greek Polytheism generally don't practice godspousing.  I could be wrong on this.

(Though at least with Greek Polytheism, it makes some sense because according to the mythology, the greek gods did this kinda stuff)
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 06:47:29 pm »

*drool*

Why are you two drooling over a giant elephant headed fish? o_O

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 06:54:00 pm »
Bahamut is the creator of all good dragons.

Ironbite-and he's got a bit of a dragon fetish.

Offline Da Rat Bastid

• Pope
  • Takes what he can, while he can.
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 07:20:33 pm »

Oh, you. ;) *tussles Priestling's hair*

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 07:24:11 pm »
JUPITER'S COCK!

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 07:25:26 pm »
JUPITER'S COCK!

Congratulations! You just won the thread and a free complimentary exalt!
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 07:26:16 pm »
\o/ Whoo!

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2012, 08:43:22 pm »
Isn't part of Mormonism that the husband will become a god in heaven and have a personal garden of Eden with each wife? I also remember something about unmarried women being given away as "servants" to other men.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2012, 08:55:06 pm »
Bahamut is the creator of all good dragons.

Ironbite-and he's got a bit of a dragon fetish.

I know that. It was a joke about the actual fabled Bahamut.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2012, 11:12:18 pm »
I'm still confused.

Are we talking Bahamut the fish or Bahamut the dragon?

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2012, 11:25:33 pm »
I'm still confused.

Are we talking Bahamut the fish or Bahamut the dragon?

They were talking about the dragon, I was joking by asking about the fish since they didn't specify.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2012, 06:58:51 pm »
However, I'm pretty sure that Asatru, Norse/Anglo-Saxon Paganism, and most forms of Greek Polytheism generally don't practice godspousing.  I could be wrong on this.

(Though at least with Greek Polytheism, it makes some sense because according to the mythology, the greek gods did this kinda stuff)

Actually, the very first book I read about Paganism has a chapter on what to do if you turn out to be destined to marry a god.  It was a very weird chapter in an otherwise excellent book.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2012, 08:43:45 pm »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2012, 10:10:26 pm »
Isn't part of Mormonism that the husband will become a god in heaven and have a personal garden of Eden with each wife? I also remember something about unmarried women being given away as "servants" to other men.

At least that "god" is a physical person on the planet that can consent to and be present for the marriage.

Yes, I am kinda saying that Mormonism has something that actually makes a modicum of sex.  Anyone for ice skating in hell?

Actually, the very first book I read about Paganism has a chapter on what to do if you turn out to be destined to marry a god.  It was a very weird chapter in an otherwise excellent book.

:stareface:
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet