Author Topic: 12 year old cyberbullied to suicide.  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
12 year old cyberbullied to suicide.
« on: September 15, 2013, 12:18:14 am »
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/14/us/suicide-of-girl-after-bullying-raises-worries-on-web-sites.html?hp&_r=1&

For more than a year, Rebecca, pretty and smart, was cyberbullied by a coterie of 15 middle-school children who urged her to kill herself, her mother said. The Polk County sheriff’s office is investigating the role of cyberbullying in the suicide and considering filing charges against the middle-school students who apparently barraged Rebecca with hostile text messages.

Her mother did everything she could think of, she got Rebecca help and even moved her to a different school to escape the bullies but since the bullies were attacking her in social media and internet this did not help.

This makes me feel sick.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: 12 year old cyberbullied to suicide.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 12:46:16 am »
who apparently barraged Rebecca with hostile text messages.

What did her mother try to do about this?
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 01:00:19 am »
Blocking the numbers only does so much now that you have apps that can send texts. If people are determined enough to be little cunts to others, it'll happen.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 01:05:11 am »
who apparently barraged Rebecca with hostile text messages.

What did her mother try to do about this?

She closed down her daughter’s Facebook page and took her cellphone away. She changed her number. Rebecca was so distraught in December that she began to cut herself, so her mother had her hospitalized and got her counseling. As best she could, Ms. Norman said, she kept tabs on Rebecca’s social media footprint.

Apparently she didn't know about ask.fm or other places where Rebecca was also being bullied. Or maybe Rebecca made new accounts to stay in touch with her friends or something and that's how they found her again?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 01:07:03 am »
This reminds me of one "meme" I saw that concluded that the entire answer to cyberbullying was for the victims to log off the internet, with the implication that "anyone who whined about cyberbullying needs to stop whining about such a petty thing."

YEAH IT SURE IS A PETTY THING RIGHT NOW ISN'T IT!?

*fume*
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 01:17:33 am »
That would be like telling kids who are bullied at school to leave the school.

WHICH IS WHAT HAPPENS! WAY TOO OFTEN!

Exhibit 1: This case, she was moved to a different school to escape bullies.

Who decided that bullies should be allowed to win and the victims must be the one's who pay the price and confine themselves into ever decreasing safe area.