Author Topic: Random shows from childhood  (Read 14428 times)

Distind

Random shows from childhood
« on: August 04, 2012, 09:00:25 am »
For a while I've been playing hit and miss with shows I watched as a kid. Seeing what I still found entertaining, and what managed to violate my memories of it from being a child. It's been rather amusing, and occasionally dissapointing, but always interesting. Given I doubt I'm alone in doing this I figured a thread on it might save other people some pain, or direct them to some of the better lasting material.

The two I have been oddly happy with are the Batman animated series, and The Munsters(which I watched on reruns as a kid, but hey).

That old batman series holds up as well, if not reasonably better than some of the comics and if you compare it to the old movies it's down right mature art. There's a full collection out there that has an art book and some other random additions, it was quite worth it to me.

The Munsters was a sheer impulse, found it for next to nothing and figured it'd be worth about as much, but for a sitcom from well before I was born it's pretty amusing. It's not nearly as forced as most sitcoms, has good acting and a special effects team who must have had a blast working on it. It certainly beats ancient aliens for something to watch with dinner.

That said, there's always a counter point to these things. If you remember liking the early 90s teenage mutant ninja turtles series, do not go back and watch any of it now. Don't do it. And I figured I'd check out the Adams Family if I liked the Munsters, all I can say is I'm in awe of how much better the animated series and movies where than the old sitcom. I'll have to track down some of the later episodes to see if it improved, but I was not impressed with the early episodes.

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
Re: Random shows from childhood
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 10:09:18 am »
I remember loving Airwolf as a kid, so when Scifi Channel was showing it a few years back I watched an episode. It was horrible. Painfully obvious use of stock footage, horrible acting, and horrible continuity errors. You'd see a jeep in snow getting shot at, then you'd see a jeep in sand getting blown up, or on fire. I must have been on drugs as a kid in order to have liked that show.

Distind

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 10:22:16 am »
I remember loving Airwolf as a kid, so when Scifi Channel was showing it a few years back I watched an episode. It was horrible. Painfully obvious use of stock footage, horrible acting, and horrible continuity errors. You'd see a jeep in snow getting shot at, then you'd see a jeep in sand getting blown up, or on fire. I must have been on drugs as a kid in order to have liked that show.
I actually know a little about that one, there were a few different seasons, and apparently the later ones they couldn't even afford to use the airwolf anymore... so things went poorly.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 01:30:13 pm »
Knight Rider.   Loved that show.  Seeing it again after so many years, I now see how each episode is basically the same, but I just loved KITT.  Still do.  Beautiful car... with an attitude! ;)

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 08:53:02 pm »
Where do you watch the Batman animated series, Distind? is it on YT in a huge playlist? I'd LOVE to see it all again.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 11:17:03 pm »
Where do you watch the Batman animated series, Distind? is it on YT in a huge playlist? I'd LOVE to see it all again.
I bought the whole run at a used vid shop. >_>

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 11:36:35 pm »
I've also been collecting very slowly episodes of the classic Doctor Who on DVD.   I remember now why I fell in love with the show all that time ago. 

Distind

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 07:03:38 am »
I bought the whole run at a used vid shop. >_>
I bought this:
http://www.amazon.com/Batman-The-Complete-Animated-Series/dp/B001CTXUTQ/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1344164523&sr=8-9&keywords=batman+animated+series

Back when it was in print... and not 400 bucks.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 02:47:40 pm »

$400....

Well, seeing what comes with it, that almost makes sense but.... buh.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 02:54:41 pm »
Damn...

... well, Christmas is coming up...
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Distind

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 03:18:57 pm »
If you guys are actually interested, there's actually a 4 volume set that's in the box, you should be able to find the four volumes for far cheaper since they weren't an intentionally limited run.

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 08:22:51 pm »
This isn't exactly from my childhood per se, but I remember watching this one show and I can't remember what the hell it was called. It was about some girl and her estranged dad and how they get called off-world to compete in some kind of galactic pod-racing competition. The episodes were all connected to one long over-arching story arc. The art style was kind of anime-ish except the vehicles were all 3D CGI.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 08:29:26 pm »
Did she have a star tattoo on her face?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 08:32:39 pm »
I don't remember.

I do remember that the dad had this weird black and white striped hair.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 08:48:34 pm »
I watched Jem when I was little, and I have to admit I still watch it every so often thanks to Youtube.