Author Topic: Definite Jerkass: Ray Comfort blames Hitchens and Dawkins for school shootings  (Read 3351 times)

Offline the_ignored

• Bishop
    • Skeptic Friends Network
Ray Comfort's bullshit is discussed here.  These are some of the article's quotes of Comfort.

Something radically wrong is happening to our nation and I think the Bible puts its finger on it very clearly.  As a nation we've lost the fear of God.  And America in 1950 was called a God-fearing nation.  But nowadays, if you talk about the fear of God, you're a fundamentalist Bible-bashing, narrow minded bigot full of hate speech, but the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, that's all it is, the beginning of wisdom.  And someone who fears God looks upon God for their moral guidance.  They don't go out and commit adultery, they don't lie, they don't steal, and they definitely don't go around killing people.
Uh?  Susan Smith?  Thirty Years' War?  The Albigensian Heresy

The fact that religious fundies of whatever stripe seem to have no problem advocating violence themselves?  Or the so-called Textbook War?  (scroll down to it)

Hell, just do a search or two on the main site and you'll find examples of believers endorsing violence.

When we interviewed those 15 people in "Genius," the whole 15 of them had no fear of God before their eyes.  And what's happened is that we've had British redcoats invading our nation and shoot our youth through the heart.  Men like Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, who now went to meet his maker, have come in with their smooth English accents, have convinced millions of young people that they're nothing but primates. There's no ultimate right.  There's no ultimate wrong.
Oh?  Is baby-killing an "ultimate wrong" Comfort?  You people say it is, but then you same people have no problem when "god" orders it done...the ultimate in moral hypocrisy.

And no...those people did not fucking advocating doing whatever the hell one wants like what you are implying.

Fortunately, this article that quoted Comfort goes on to refute him:
Professor Phil Zuckerman's research has revealed that to equate faith in God with morality is a false notion.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
Ray Comfort is an insensitive dickhead? Well I never!

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
So a guy born in New Zealand comes to America and rails that foreigners are invading "our country" to spread lies and lead children astray.

Nice.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Oh good Banana guy is back

Ironbite-fuck him.

Offline lazerfrog

• Neonate
I love how I've never heard of any of the people who say this before it gets posted on a site like this.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
Oh good Banana guy is back

Ironbite-fuck him.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Call me crazy, but I'd rather respect and love God than fear him.  I guess my God is different than their God.  A god that commands fear seems kinda... bad.

Just saying...

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
Dawkins and Hitchens might be assholes, but seeing as one of them is dead and neither are responsible for what happened in Connecticut, fuck Ray Comfort.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
Damned right, Ray.  It wasn't Christians who rampaged across the land killing Native Americans.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Atheissimo

• Bishop
Relying on 200 year old prejudices to rally the troops? for shame, Ray. Especially as a Kiwi yourself.

Remind me, what religion were the people who displaced and killed the Maori in NZ?
'You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched Star Trek? Good Lord.' - Sir Patrick Stewart

Distind

Just to prove the internet does in fact have everything, I go looking for a kiwi wrapped in an american flag, I find this

Offline Goosey

• Neonate
  • unacceptable and against morality behavior
I did mutter a bit about how Ray seemed to fail to understand that the religious component of the American Revolution wasn't quite that England was too laissez-faire about religion.

Trying to impose a certain religious position is, y'know, what the "bad guys" were doing. And it was important enough an issue that it was the very first damn thing in the Bill of Rights. Invoking the Revolution to promote theocracy is... Well, to be honest, it's just like Ray Comfort, isn't it?
1 Corinthians 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity, for it doth beget five and ten points in Scrabble, and is more worthy than the eleven and nine points of the other two respectively.

Offline kiwimac

• Neonate
Relying on 200 year old prejudices to rally the troops? for shame, Ray. Especially as a Kiwi yourself.

Remind me, what religion were the people who displaced and killed the Maori in NZ?

Hell, I'd forgotten Ray was a kiwi! Perhaps the Ringatu or Pai Marire might like to talk to him about Christianity in NZ during the colonial period?
Bread for myself is a material question; bread for my neighbor is a spiritual question." Nicolai Berdyaev

Offline calshepN7

• Neonate
  • Calibrating...please wait.
In that vein of thought, I blame Comfort for the WBC. Makes perfect sense.
Telling an atheist to burn in Hell is like telling an adult that Santa's not bringing him any presents this year.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
I can't stand Ray Comfort.  He's everything that turns me off of any religion.