Author Topic: Ohio State University: Sympathy for an Attempted Mass Murderer  (Read 3457 times)

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
Ohio State University: Sympathy for an Attempted Mass Murderer
« on: December 13, 2016, 12:44:11 pm »
http://thelantern.com/2016/12/abdul-razak-ali-artans-name-added-to-student-groups-list-of-people-of-color-killed-by-police/

This is like putting Harris and Klebold's names on a list of suicide victims. Shameful. Just shameful.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 04:04:26 pm by Lana Reverse »
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
Re: Ohio State University: Sympathy for an Attempted Mass Murderer
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 08:22:44 pm »
Let's read the helpfully provided article, shall we?

“In some cases, the deceased may have committed acts of violence against others before they were killed. Perhaps they were domestic abusers, perhaps they threatened or killed others. This possibility is not something to shy away from. The protest against police brutality extends to the innocent and the guilty alike, because we know that no matter the crime, justice and due process don’t come from a cop’s bullet,” Abidi said while reading the eulogy.

Okay, that makes sense, I see where you're coming from there. Basically saying that even the obviously guilty deserve a fair trial. Gotcha.

Among the names on the list was Artan. Those in attendance said they did not condone his actions, but some said they have compassion for the attacker, who expressed feelings of anxiety related to how he was perceived as a Muslim.

“You can understand where an act of violence comes from without condoning that act of violence,” said Pranav Jani, an associate professor of English.

Okay, sounds good. Sounds kinda like a popular tenet of Christianity, actually - 'love the sinner, hate the sin'. I like that they're able to say "this person did terrible things" without immediately jumping to the conclusion of "because he's evil". Let's explore why these people did terrible things. Good idea.

“Abudl Razak Ali Artan was a BUCKEYE, a member of our family. If you think it is ok to celebrate his death and/or share pictures of his dead body and I see it in my timeline, I will unfriend you. I pray you find compassion for his life, as troubled as it clearly was. Think of the pain he must have been in to feel that his actions were the only solution. We must come together in this time of tragedy. #BuckeyeStrong #BlackLivesMatter #SayHisName”

I, personally, think it's coming off just a tiny bit too strong to ask us to think of the pain he must have been in, but it's certainly a legitimate viewpoint to make. And I too believe that we shouldn't be celebrating the death of anyone, no matter how terrible.

So, um, with the article duly read... what exactly are we supposed to be up in arms about?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 08:41:44 pm »
How about the fact that he was shot in the middle of a stabbing spree? If he'd surrendered, I could see where they were coming from, but he was still attacking people when he was shot. His killing was completely justified.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 12:42:17 am »
How about the fact that he was shot in the middle of a stabbing spree? If he'd surrendered, I could see where they were coming from, but he was still attacking people when he was shot. His killing was completely justified.

Okay? I don't see where they disagree.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 12:48:07 am »
When I saw the title I just assumed that it's another one of those "boys will be boys and you shouldn't be too rough on this white kid who had rich parents or was good at sports" cases.

I mean, it still is a "don't be too hard on this person because we coun't him as 'one of us' and the in-group should get sympathy, hate the out-group who did this" case.

Because when someone is currently killing people police are justified in use of force to stop them. If he had been shot while running away, holding his hands up or sleeping in his car I would totally understand complaining about using force when they could have arrested him.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 12:51:51 am »

Okay? I don't see where they disagree.

Well they seem to be condemning all the cases where police shoots someone rather than giving the suspect a trial. But it is true that they make it clear that they have sympathy for people even if they don't condone their actions. (And the point about considering that when a person decides to do a suicide by cop or a killing spree they usually are in a pretty bad spot is a good point. Some of the spree killers have been suffering from bullying or insanity before they go on their killing spree and it could have been prevented if they had received help.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 05:26:31 pm »
This is like putting Harris and Klebold's names on a list of suicide victims. Shameful. Just shameful.

So...you would rather they made a less comprehensive list, selectively omitting names of people who offend you?

Sounds like a case of feels-vs-reals to me.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 10:08:47 pm »

So...you would rather they made a less comprehensive list, selectively omitting names of people who offend you?

Sounds like a case of feels-vs-reals to me.

It's a list of "people of colour" killed by police, so it's already pretty arbitrary.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 02:07:03 pm »
They want to bring awareness to the fact that the police in USA are more likely to shoot black people than white people. They could have tried to make a list of only the (POC) people that police shoot in suspicious circumstances but instead they just make a list of every POC shot by police which is not the same and will not have the same effect.