Author Topic: Germany expands flag-burning ban  (Read 3608 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Germany expands flag-burning ban
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2020, 08:05:32 pm »
Should be...but isn't.  At least not in Germany.

Ironbite-which is a sovereign country and can do what it wants within reason.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2020, 09:56:03 pm »

Isn't in most places, actually.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2020, 11:00:21 pm »
I didn't call anyone a nazi over it, but I did specifically call this a bad idea. Flag burning should be protected speech.

Calling this restriction a bad idea is different from calling it arbitrary though. Even if you believe it's a bad idea, you still accept that there is a purpose to it and a point to the law, I imagine. Calling them arbitrary is as if we're supposed to imagine the German parliament coming together and asking "okay so what can we ban today?"
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2020, 05:10:47 pm »

...yes, that's my point. It should be protected. It isn't. That's bad. Germany absolutely has every right, in practice, to pass whichever laws they want, some of those laws are bad, and this is one of them.

I didn't call anyone a nazi over it, but I did specifically call this a bad idea. Flag burning should be protected speech.

Calling this restriction a bad idea is different from calling it arbitrary though. Even if you believe it's a bad idea, you still accept that there is a purpose to it and a point to the law, I imagine. Calling them arbitrary is as if we're supposed to imagine the German parliament coming together and asking "okay so what can we ban today?"

Well, obviously. For the most part when governments do things it's for reasons. I even understand why people'd be tempted to ban flag burning after the relevant incident, much as I disagree with the decision.

Flag burning laws are not arbitrary. They are unnecessary infringements on free speech and often a flinch nationalistic reaction (not in this case in particular), but not arbirtary.
Σא