Author Topic: #YesAllWomen  (Read 14569 times)

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
Re: #YesAllWomen
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2014, 10:14:50 pm »
...I really wish I could smack that person with a cluebat.

I really wish that there was a mystical club-shaped object out there that could instill actual knowledge and wisdom to people smacked with it.  Along with pain.  Mental pain over their previous stupidity.  Physical pain over being hit with a club-shaped object.
Which person?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2014, 10:16:26 pm »
I really wish that there was a mystical club-shaped object out there that could instill actual knowledge and wisdom to people smacked with it.  Along with pain.  Mental pain over their previous stupidity.  Physical pain over being hit with a club-shaped object.
It would certainly do away with the need for an education system. Just give kids a daily walloping from the ages of 6 to 18 (longer if they intend to pursue tertiary education) and they'll be well and and truly sorted when it comes time to enter the workforce.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2014, 10:17:13 pm »

We've all been there.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2014, 10:17:47 pm »

Which person?

The one that said this:

The analogy doesn’t work for any of those other groups…..Men “scaring the bejesus” out of you isn’t the same thing as actually being in danger. Racists probably have plenty of stories about black guys “scaring the bejesus” out of them. And “wearing someone down” is the exact opposite of entitlement. You don’t work for things you feel you are entitled to…
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2014, 10:24:06 pm »

And TheFrogman manages to say something ten times better than I could.  Yes, this is relevant.

(click to show/hide)
To be honest, I think the whole "it works for oppressive groups" thing just shows that the analogy isn't doing anything other than reflecting existing feelings about the group. There's no point to making the analogy if you're not actually reacting to the analogous situation, just to the group to which the analogy is being applied.

Just say "I think it's fair to make some judgements about a group based on its worst members, but only for some groups". The M&M's are not clarifying the issue.

(actually this is a problem with a lot of analogy-based arguments)
Σא

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2014, 10:28:44 pm »

And TheFrogman manages to say something ten times better than I could.  Yes, this is relevant.

(click to show/hide)
To be honest, I think the whole "it works for oppressive groups" thing just shows that the analogy isn't doing anything other than reflecting existing feelings about the group. There's no point to making the analogy if you're not actually reacting to the analogous situation, just to the group to which the analogy is being applied.

Just say "I think it's fair to make some judgements about a group based on its worst members, but only for some groups". The M&M's are not clarifying the issue.

(actually this is a problem with a lot of analogy-based arguments)
Why do analogies not work? Well picture this...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 09:28:07 am by I am lizard »

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2014, 10:33:04 pm »

Which person?

The one that said this:

The analogy doesn’t work for any of those other groups…..Men “scaring the bejesus” out of you isn’t the same thing as actually being in danger. Racists probably have plenty of stories about black guys “scaring the bejesus” out of them. And “wearing someone down” is the exact opposite of entitlement. You don’t work for things you feel you are entitled to…
"Hi, I have never met a woman outside of hentai dating simulators!"

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2014, 07:26:38 am »
Personally, I think Frogman's analogy is kind of dumb, because he's assuming that men automatically have power over women.  That's not true in reality.  Besides, I think we can all agree that not all men are corporate executives, police officers, or politicians.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2014, 08:15:41 am »
Personally, I think Frogman's analogy is kind of dumb, because he's assuming that men automatically have power over women.

I'm fairly certain he's not assuming this.

He's saying that we belong to an oppressive group.  And as men enjoy many rights (including the right to walk down the street unharrassed) that many women don't get to enjoy, I think it's safe to say he hit the bullseye on this situation.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2014, 08:37:46 pm »
No one is saying that men are never victims of violence. We're saying that women have to face issues that men do not, and because pretty much every woman has faced some form of harassment from men (I know I have), we're not wrong to be wary of them.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2014, 08:43:20 pm »
I sympathize completely.  However, to use that as an excuse to be wary of all men is just stupid.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2014, 02:16:06 am »
Honestly, that post you linked us to was a clusterfuck of stuff.
I mean what does that title even mean? Is it saying we need to focus on the toxic environment surrounding rape culture and male entitlement, if so, why does OP not elaborate further on this point?

Does he dislike the when women turn men down website, if so why?

What's the ending even mean? He says he's talking about mass shootings in general but he seems to be describing Elliot's shooting in particular.

Is it pro or anti-feminists?

What is cats?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2014, 02:24:19 am »
How many times have you deleted your previous post and replaced it?

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2014, 10:19:15 am »
How many times have you deleted your previous post and replaced it?
Many.