Author Topic: Much of the TLJ hatred was by Russian bots  (Read 6203 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Much of the TLJ hatred was by Russian bots
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 09:52:28 am »
Usually explaining WHY you dislike the film is enough.

Generally speaking explaining why you dislike something is important so that others know just whether the issue is that something is shit or that you are shit.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 09:54:14 am »
...  Star Trek is better.

YEETMOBILE, AWAYYYYYY!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 10:04:38 am »
What does "yeet" mean anyway? I keep seeing it and apparently I'm finally too old to understand memes.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 10:10:03 am »
I've always assumed that it's something Fortnite related.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 10:42:58 am »
You old people.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bjy5YQ5xPc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bjy5YQ5xPc</a>

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2019, 04:51:43 pm »
In text: to throw something one deems worthless at the highest possible velocity, typically whilst yelling "yeet" at top volume.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2019, 05:44:10 pm »
Generally speaking explaining why you dislike something is important so that others know just whether the issue is that something is shit or that you are shit.

Eh. You should be able to just say "I didn't enjoy it" and that should be fine?

By default, people who don't like things do so for entirely innocuous reasons. Including things that have a vocal contingent talking about how it sucked because feminism or political correctness or cultural marxism or whatever; if someone isn't actively complaining about that, or dogwhistling about how they brought ~politics~ into it or something... just assume they didn't like for all the usual reasons people don't like media.
Σא

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
  • Death to the False Emperor!
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2019, 06:05:31 pm »

By default, people who don't like things do so for entirely innocuous reasons. Including things that have a vocal contingent talking about how it sucked because feminism or political correctness or cultural marxism or whatever; if someone isn't actively complaining about that, or dogwhistling about how they brought ~politics~ into it or something... just assume they didn't like for all the usual reasons people don't like media.

Hell, I'd go even further and say complaining about the movie's politics isn't automatically a bad thing. Thinking they were poorly handled or even outright disagreeing with them doesn't automatically mean you're a card-carrying alt-rightist. One of my friends agrees with TLJ's political themes, but she thinks they were done in a forced, inept way that hurt the movie and alienated a good chunk of the audience. I know the feeling: I'm an environmentalist, but I still think On Deadly Ground's attempt at a "be green" message was complete shit.
Anti-authoritarian, anti-extremist, anti-bullshit.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2019, 07:04:35 pm »

Hell, I'd go even further and say complaining about the movie's politics isn't automatically a bad thing. Thinking they were poorly handled or even outright disagreeing with them doesn't automatically mean you're a card-carrying alt-rightist. One of my friends agrees with TLJ's political themes, but she thinks they were done in a forced, inept way that hurt the movie and alienated a good chunk of the audience. I know the feeling: I'm an environmentalist, but I still think On Deadly Ground's attempt at a "be green" message was complete shit.

That's fair. My point is not that complaining about politics is in itself a bad thing; just that it's one red flag you can watch out for.
Σא