Author Topic: Faithlessness reaches new levels  (Read 4588 times)

Offline SkyTrekTower

• Bishop
Re: Faithlessness reaches new levels
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 09:34:00 pm »
I wouldn't get too excited. A lot of young people go back to their former religion when they start settling down. It's likely that this generation will become a little more religious as time goes on.

I remember reading something on this a while ago.  While people do tend to become more religious when they get older, if they change beliefs, they tend not to go back.  So, a person might stop practicing (insert belief here), but they will when they age.  However, if said person switches to (insert belief 2 here), they probably won't go back to belief 1.

Offline czechmate

• Apprentice
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 02:48:56 am »
I'm thinking that, among the Abrahamic religions, a goodly percentage of the "spiritual leaders" are middle-aged to geezer.
Could also extend to rotting granny.
For me, religion is the last straw for the drowning desperate to cling to.
I turned my back on religion 27 years ago. Prior to that I was a Theologian for almost 40 years and finally saw through the fog of bullshit that props up christianity.
I do not encourage anyone to change their faith, just tell them to spend a weekend reading the bible from cover-to-cover.
The worst enemy of Christianity is............. The Christians.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 03:06:03 am »
I wouldn't get too excited. A lot of young people go back to their former religion when they start settling down. It's likely that this generation will become a little more religious as time goes on.
I remember reading something on this a while ago.  While people do tend to become more religious when they get older, if they change beliefs, they tend not to go back.  So, a person might stop practicing (insert belief here), but they will when they age.  However, if said person switches to (insert belief 2 here), they probably won't go back to belief 1.
Religion is still religion, so fat load of good that does.