Author Topic: The Absurdity of "White Guilt"  (Read 4187 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: The Absurdity of "White Guilt"
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 05:51:45 pm »
Some of the SJW's realised that inconsistency in treatmen of white people. As a result we get such gems of wisdom as designating the irish and other ethnic groups as POC or making some complicated categories for what counts as "white" or "POC" in different countries.

Because simply treating people the same way regardless of ethnicity or sexuality is not an option and instead everyone must be placed in a separate (but not equal) category for the sake of being equals.

They seem to do that because they're so hardcore about having an American-centric view of racism that they simply can't let go of their prejudices when they can try to fit them into the world. Instead of realizing that "white vs. POC" is a bullshit way of determining racism and doesn't match reality except in very small areas of history in certain places, they try to create more complex distinctions of what a white person or POC is so they can keep using their crappy system.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 06:12:11 am »
I think there are a few different things being subsumed in the reference to this term.

Fred is right that acknowledging past mistakes and atrocities that your culture or nation has committed are important. For instance the German attitude about the Nazis and WWII is mature and appropriate and hopefully makes it less likely to ever happen again. Likewise apologising to indigenous people and having sorry days was an important step forward as a nation. This is all about acknowledging as a nation that terrible things have been done. That acknowledgment in itself makes it much less likely to happen again as well as hopefully providing some closure.

If anything the way the yanks and canucks have treated the native americans is worse (and continues to be worse) and more recent than the US history of slavery. Those are things that need to be maturely acknowledged and hopefully never repeated.

On the otherhand personalised feelings of guilt or shame or resentment to the people you feel guilty about which is one of the nuances I get from the term ' white guilt'  is a bit silly.

As for the Irish I can't believe no one has brought up The Commitments :

" The Irish are the blacks of Europe, Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland, say it loud I'm black and I'm proud"

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 01:07:32 am »
I'm not even gonna post if I say anything Paraggon and chit will make me want to cry

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 01:26:42 am »
I'm not even gonna post if I say anything Paraggon and chit will make me want to cry

Oh for God's sake. Kef, it's becoming rapidly apparent that you have a serious problem. I think it would be best if you took some time off from the internet until you can handle it better.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 01:29:50 am »
Yes I do and I am getting it treated but truthfully the porblem will persist for a year.  I was also being fairly facetious.  Just you tend to get mad at me and I've just basically have collaposed under my depression
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 01:33:33 am by kefkaownsall »

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 01:37:08 am »
Yes I do and I am getting it treated but truthfully the porblem will persist for a year.  I was also being fairly facetious.  Just you tend to get mad at me and I've just basically have collaposed under my depression

We'd probably be able to figure out your problems and respond to them a lot better if you would slow down, type carefully and coherently, and explain them. Right now we're basically trying to piece together your psyche from half-coherent emotional blabbing, which doesn't help anybody, least of all you.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 01:40:16 am »
okay I finally figured out why you correcting me on gramamr hurts i have minor speech impediment so i hae been told speak slowly and clearly enough to become adverse to the words and any varient.
I AM GETTING HELP justlay off   

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 05:31:23 am »
okay I finally figured out why you correcting me on gramamr hurts i have minor speech impediment so i hae been told speak slowly and clearly enough to become adverse to the words and any varient.

In a word? No.  Getting prodded when you slip keeps you (ostensibly) more focused on what you're doing.  It's worked for my Aspergers big brother, it's worked for a few autistic acquaintances I have, and in general, it's been found to be useful when you have those around you making certain that you know what you need, and what you need to do to accomplish that, whether it's looking for work, or writing a sentence.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 07:01:50 am »
Derailing. Take it to kefkas thread in flame and burn or start a new one. This has already been discussed.

Also kefka. Your post in this thread was a bit of a bait. Please dont do that
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 07:04:04 am by Hofstadter's Tortoise »
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 08:08:19 am »
Some of the SJW's realised that inconsistency in treatmen of white people. As a result we get such gems of wisdom as designating the irish and other ethnic groups as POC or making some complicated categories for what counts as "white" or "POC" in different countries.

Because simply treating people the same way regardless of ethnicity or sexuality is not an option and instead everyone must be placed in a separate (but not equal) category for the sake of being equals.

They seem to do that because they're so hardcore about having an American-centric view of racism that they simply can't let go of their prejudices when they can try to fit them into the world. Instead of realizing that "white vs. POC" is a bullshit way of determining racism and doesn't match reality except in very small areas of history in certain places, they try to create more complex distinctions of what a white person or POC is so they can keep using their crappy system.

The irony is that Tumblr's SJ community preaches about not speaking over minorities/marginalized groups about the issues they face and their personal experiences (which generally isn't a bad policy, but I've seen it taken to ridiculous extremes), yet many of them are all too willing to abandon that principle when it comes to people living outside of the US, North America or white-dominated westernize nations and their own lived experiences.

Reddisred is one of the more glaring examples. She's deflected plenty of legitimate criticism with "white people don't get to comment, you're speaking over me!", including using this in response to people who called her out for saying that all white people are ugly, stupid and similar remarks (which is doubly ironic given that she's like 99% white herself), yet she was perfectly fine with dismissing non-Americans who tried to explain how discrimination works in their own countries, and felt the need to blabber on about French/English tensions in Canada despite clearly not knowing any of the history involved or the modern dynamics (not that the French/English stuff is all that comparable to racism, at least in modern times -- it wasn't too long ago that speaking the "wrong" language or having the "wrong" last name in certain regions could result in some pretty nasty prejudice -- but it really isn't an American's place to dismiss it as "infighting between white people, so who cares?").

Most of them aren't as extreme as Redd, but it's fairly pervasive nonetheless. The most recent example is probably the discussions about Frozen and the Sami, which were full of Americentrism and the dismissal of comments from people who actually live in Scandinavian countries, often on the blatantly hypocritical grounds that "You're white and not Sami, so you don't have the knowledge to discuss this!" Because, y'know, Americans are clearly better authorities on the subject than someone who actually lives in a Scandinavian culture.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 09:48:51 am »

In a word? No.  Getting prodded when you slip keeps you (ostensibly) more focused on what you're doing.  It's worked for my Aspergers big brother, it's worked for a few autistic acquaintances I have, and in general, it's been found to be useful when you have those around you making certain that you know what you need, and what you need to do to accomplish that, whether it's looking for work, or writing a sentence.
sigh its not a one size fits all thing especially when you combine it with depression
it might have been useful last year but now its too late 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 10:13:52 am by kefkaownsall »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2014, 03:47:12 pm »
I also can't help but suspect that some people with the "white guilt" mentality are racist on a subconscious level.  In these cases, white guilt is a means of absolution.  It brings to mind a religious fanatic who whips himself for thinking "sinful thoughts".