Author Topic: Costa Concordia Captain: I Regret Nothing  (Read 3138 times)

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
Costa Concordia Captain: I Regret Nothing
« on: January 16, 2013, 11:36:49 am »
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/16/16531308-former-costa-concordia-captain-i-regret-nothing?lite

NAPLES, Italy -- The former captain of the Costa Concordia cruise liner says he understands why some people "hate" him, but has no regrets about his actions in the aftermath of the shipwreck that left 32 people dead.

Francesco Schettino did not attend the unveiling of memorials in Giglio, Italy, over the weekend as survivors and victims' families marked the one-year anniversary of the accident. Instead, the luxury cruise liner’s former captain was at his home near Naples, where he lives under some court restrictions.

Accused of multiple manslaughter, causing the wreck and abandoning ship, Schettino told NBC News the toughest part of the aftermath of the crash was that people think he did not try to help the situation after he took the ship off course during a sail-by salute of the coast.
Advertise | AdChoices

“Everybody believes that I was escaping from the sinking ship,” he said. However, Schettino contended he “tried to make an effort to make sure that I was the last one to leave the ship — from the sinking side."

I still think we ought to keelhaul the bastard.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Re: Costa Concordia Captain: I Regret Nothing
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 11:48:46 am »
Make him walk the plank

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 01:04:33 pm »
Did he shout, "YOLO!" before going off course to sail closer to the shore?

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 07:49:20 pm »
Frankly, I don't mind his post-crash actions. Some people are cowards, that's a personality flaw not a moral crime.

Now, sailing through a million black holes to speed you up- that's a crime, and not just a moral one.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 09:22:49 pm »
I do since legally if your ship crashes you are obligated to aid the passengers.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 04:12:31 pm »
Helping the passengers was part of his duties as captain.  It's something he signed up to do.  This isn't Johnny on the Spot not stepping up, this is a guy who had a specific job he agreed to do and he didn't go through with it.  At that point, yes, it becomes a moral failing, and he's criminally liable for it.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 05:56:48 pm »
Frankly, I don't mind his post-crash actions. Some people are cowards, that's a personality flaw not a moral crime.

In this case it is a legal crime. If I remember correctly crew members (particularly high ranking ones) evacuating themselves without first attempting to evacuate passengers is a crime in a hell of a lot of countries and I'm pretty certain people have gone to prison for it.

And I agree with previous posters, it is a moral crime. You're the captain, it's you are responsible for the saftey of the passengers. It's part of the job. If you're a coward then don't sign up for jobs where you are personally responsible for other people's lives.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 11:18:39 pm »
Yeah. I have to agree with the others. A ship's captain is responsible for the safety of their passengers. Both legally and morally. While "suicidal" isn't needed, a captain must be prepared to put the lives of every single person aboard his ship above their own.

No matter what member of the crew makes the mistake, it is ultimately the captain's responsibility if a ship goes off course. No matter who is at the helm, it is the captain's responsibility if a ship crashes. And when lives are lost, it is the captain's responsibility, because he assumed that responsibility when he welcomed those lives aboard his ship. It is an incredibly heavy burden to shoulder, and he has no room to complain when he comes up short. No one forced that role onto him.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 11:38:40 pm »
Doubly so when it was his direct orders to showboat that caused the crash.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 01:45:50 am »
And therefore, he should be keelhauled.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 05:18:27 pm »
Yeah. I have to agree with the others. A ship's captain is responsible for the safety of their passengers. Both legally and morally. While "suicidal" isn't needed, a captain must be prepared to put the lives of every single person aboard his ship above their own.

No matter what member of the crew makes the mistake, it is ultimately the captain's responsibility if a ship goes off course. No matter who is at the helm, it is the captain's responsibility if a ship crashes. And when lives are lost, it is the captain's responsibility, because he assumed that responsibility when he welcomed those lives aboard his ship. It is an incredibly heavy burden to shoulder, and he has no room to complain when he comes up short. No one forced that role onto him.

This, so hard.  He was the CAPTAIN of the ship and knew damn well what the details of said job were, on top of being the one who ordered the showboating that caused the crash like Kefka said.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter