Author Topic: More shootings--this time in Texas!  (Read 6141 times)

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
Re: More shootings--this time in Texas!
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 01:25:28 pm »
I can't begin to tell you the things these two idiots did wrong (and I'm not just talking the obvious!). Those guns had no business being on the campus, but then, I must remind myself that it's TEXAS, with guns laws that make West Virginia look like New York State.

Silly, don't you know gun free zones are easy pickings for criminals... :P

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 05:15:19 pm »
Why am I NOT surprised it's Texas...
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 07:22:51 pm »
I'm almost entirely a very liberal Democrat, but gun laws are one place that I remain strictly right-wing on. I'm an avid shooter and gun owner, and I support concealed carry, self-defense, and defense of the home and property.

That said, I think we could do with some much stricter laws and punishments regarding firearm crimes. Especially when it comes to the illegal carrying of a concealed weapon, which is a charge that could be placed on many of the people who end up in "escalated arguments" like this one. Fact is, the people who will go through the time and effort to get a concealed carry license and learn how to properly use their gun (and especially the kind who will not take their weapon into a "gun free zone") are usually sensible and cautious enough not to draw their weapons and escalate an argument themselves.

I'm also really, really not comfortable with the "gun free zone" idea. If someone wants to actually cause harm with a weapon, they really don't give two shits about not being allowed to carry them into a restaurant or store. You can even find a testimony online (which I'll gladly provide should anyone ask) of a woman in a mass shooting at a restaurant during the 90s, who had attempted to fight off the shooter and protect her elderly parents but remembered that she had left her gun in the car because it was illegal to carry it into the restaurant. All she could do was hide or run.

Some would suggest that "gun free zones" should be maintained in areas like school campuses because of the supposed risk of arguments escalating into gun battles like it seems to be here. Well, first off we need WAY more information before we can decry this incident as two students with concealed carry permits ending up in a gun battle on campus. But what's preventing these arguments from occurring in places where they ARE allowed to carry their weapons?
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 12:36:50 am »
When I saw this on the news, the words that came to my head was "God fucking damn it. Now Rick Perry and his cronies who run this rat shit-hole of a state is going to approve of arming our teachers and students; MUCH like Colorado just did."

Seriously, if these bastards actually think of making such a law a reality and that this law gets passed, then for the sake of my safety and primal desire to stay safe quit college and stay the fuck away from an educational institution. But who knows? What if this is a plan to keep people out of schools, as my home state is sloppily maintained by mostly anti-intellectualists?

(I should tell you, being a citizen of the Texas state and disagreeing strongly with so much bullshit said here and disappointed by victories of crooked politicians, it's really hard for me to keep my cool and to remain rational-minded.)