Author Topic: Germany to allow third-gender on birth certificates  (Read 3205 times)

Offline starseeker

• God
Germany to allow third-gender on birth certificates
« on: November 01, 2013, 06:53:40 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24767225

Germany is to allow babies born with an indeterminate gender to be registered as X on their birth certificates rather than M or F so their parents don't feel pressured into assigning them a gender through surgery immediatly.

I just hope that other European countries can follow suit, though the article does mention there may be issues with marriage laws when the kids grow up.

Offline Raymond Dullaghy

• Apprentice
  • God before dogma!
Re: Germany to allow third-gender on birth certificates
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 07:42:29 am »
To be honest, I didn't know intersex (that's the correct term, right?) people exist until college Cultural Diversity (i.e. social justice) class, or about any sort of prejudice against them. It's nice that Germany is doing something for them.
I'm in science to discover and analyze God's wonderful universe, not gripe about how people don't like God.  I believe the creation/evolution debate is a waste of Christian brains (we have them, believe it or not) that could be better spent on making actual things.

Favorite philosophers (out of the ones I've personally read): Jesus, Solomon, Marcus Aurelius, Immanuel Kant

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 12:35:12 pm »
To be honest, I didn't know intersex (that's the correct term, right?) people exist until college Cultural Diversity (i.e. social justice) class, or about any sort of prejudice against them. It's nice that Germany is doing something for them.

Sex (whether male/female or intersex) is a biological characteristic and is obvious from birth. Gender is a social construct that only manifests later.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 12:52:59 pm »

Sex (whether male/female or intersex) is a biological characteristic and is obvious from birth. Gender is a social construct that only manifests later.

Being intersex is not obvious from birth, in the general case. (e.g. CAIS)

Somewhat more on topic: while a step in the right direction, it'd be much simpler to just do away with the notion of legal gender.
Σא

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 01:07:44 pm »
But gods will

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 01:14:26 pm »

*facepalms*
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 01:30:17 pm »

*facepalms*

So...what was your point? There is a clear difference between sex and gender; one is genetic and the other is acquired (along with gender roles) from society. I don't see a big controversy there.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 01:33:29 pm »
Probably because you've got the definition of gender entirely wrong?

What you are describing is "Gender roles".  Gender roles are something entirely different from gender.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 01:41:06 pm »
In the engineering and cabling terminology sense, sure, I will concede that gender is an immutable characteristic.

In human society, it doesn't explain why certain genders exist in some cultures and not others.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 02:39:59 pm »
The difference between sex and gender is, you can engage in sex ...
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Raymond Dullaghy

• Apprentice
  • God before dogma!
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 03:08:45 pm »
Now I'm confused. Does this proposal apply to people that are biologically intersexual or psychosocially intersexual?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 03:12:38 pm by Raymond Dullaghy »
I'm in science to discover and analyze God's wonderful universe, not gripe about how people don't like God.  I believe the creation/evolution debate is a waste of Christian brains (we have them, believe it or not) that could be better spent on making actual things.

Favorite philosophers (out of the ones I've personally read): Jesus, Solomon, Marcus Aurelius, Immanuel Kant

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 03:18:52 pm »
In human society, it doesn't explain why certain genders exist in some cultures and not others.

It's more like certain cultures are more close-minded about gender than others.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 03:19:23 pm »
This option was put for biologically intersexual babies. I don't know if it will be possible for adults to change their own ID.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 04:14:32 pm »
From what I understand, it is for those who are biologically/genetically intersex.

Which, regardless of what is used in social justice circles that people seem to have latched onto, does exist in a medical way.

Intersex as used in this instance includes those that people call 'hermaphrodites' as well as those who have xxy genes (Klinefelter Syndrome) and other such chromosomal conditions.

Now stop being silly about gender.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 04:27:48 pm »
In the engineering and cabling terminology sense, sure, I will concede that gender is an immutable characteristic.

I'm not sure if it's your wording of it or your intended meaning that's crazy. Can you please show which culture has the genders of male, female, flargan, and dingle?
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov